Chapter 45: The Cost of Freedom

The Queen's POV

Twenty-one years ago

Something was wrong.

I awoke naturally from my slumber as opposed to the harsh sounds of metal clanging against metal when men from my village rose early to get to work.

Gone was the awful stench of smoke as it always found ways to waft its way into my sinuses. The bed I slept in was so large and soft that I seemed to melt in it. I allowed the sun, which illuminated the room a golden hue, to wash over me. It poured in from the wall beside me, completely made of glass.

"My lady! You've awaken. Good, we have a busy day ahead of us! Let's go, we haven't much time." My maid, Ophelia, clapped her hands together and began rushing me out of the bed.

It was so odd, having someone wait on me. When the Prince first introduced her to me as my personal maid, I doubled over in laughter. According to him, when I become Princess, I'll have even more at my disposal. He assured me that I'd get used to it, but I wasn't so sure.

"If we are going to need to rush, why didn't you wake me sooner?" I asked Ophelia.

"The Prince informed me about your long journey from Terrance yesterday and gave me specific instructions not to disturb you until it was absolutely necessary."

I smiled to myself. Marrying him was starting to feel less and less like an insurance policy.

"He's lovely, isn't he? His Highness, I mean." Ophelia hinted at my smile.

"He is most charming," I gave.

"All right, time to get started. Hair and makeup have already set up, but first we must clean you up. I already have a bath going, but it'll be a bit cold."

"I'm sorry, we?"

Ophelia gave me a puzzled look that mirrored my own.

"You didn't expect you'd be bathing yourself, did you?" She seemed utterly shocked by the notion.

I covered my arms around myself. The idea of being naked in front of another person was absolutely horrifying.

"I've never come into any trouble before." I told her.

"Oh, my lady, no. You're going to be royal. You must learn to adapt to the way we do things here. Now, into the bath we go." She reached out to me, but I instinctively jerked away.

"Ophelia, I assure you, I can bathe myself."

"My lady, I was given specific instructions to-"

"What seems to be the trouble?" The Prince's smooth, buttery voice had become a fairly familiar one to me-and a comfort.

He walked into the room, clothed in his uniform of white and violet silk, with an array of golden medals adorning his right breast pocket. His long hair was neatly parted and his eyes were two shimmering pools of blue as they shone in the sunlight.

I fought a sigh and brought my attention back to the situation at hand.

"Lady Sara is refusing to let me bathe her." Ophelia told him after she'd lowered herself into a curtsy.