Chapter Seven {Revised}

Juliana

I survey the magnificent bedroom. It is exceedingly different from my previous chambers, not for the fact that it is a dual chamber, a chamber meant for two people. There is certain elegance about it making it feel a lot more mature. The bed is massive, slightly easing my anxiety about having to sleep beside Aspen on it. It is layered with crème-colored sheets and a white duvet with golden floral patterns all over it. Across the room is a grand Victorian dresser with a mirror large enough for me to glance at my reflection, even considering my distance from it. On the east part of the room are sliding glass doors that lead out to a balcony overlooking the palace grounds and further away, the capital city. The bathroom is large enough that I feel content in knowing my intimate belongings can be kept a safe distance away from Aspen's space.

"What do you think?" he asks.

"It's...big. Unnecessarily so, don't you think? I mean, we're only two people."

"I thought you'd be happy. You have your own space, completely separate from mine."

I shrug. "Of course, I need my own space. However, we are going to be married. I'd go so far as to say we could both live in these chambers for the rest of our lives and never have to say a word to each other." I give him a solemn smile, suddenly feeling foolish. "An arranged marriage is lonely enough as it is."

I know that it is necessary to keep my boundaries up, but in being forced to marry this man to save my country and my people, I would like to at least attempt cordiality. Though the idea of sharing a space with him is entirely too intimate for my tastes, the idea of being married to a perfect stranger for the rest of my life raises an entirely new fear.

"Let's not be lonely then. We will be the success story of arranged marriages everywhere," he says grinning, and I smile despite myself. "We won't force ourselves to be something we're not. We'll just...be. I'll be by your side as your king, and you as my queen. I have a feeling, from there, everything will fall in its place."

"Do you really believe that?" I ask him.

He shrugs. "I don't know. But I do know that there's only one way to find out. We'll give it the best we've got."

I consider him for a moment. My eyes survey his tousled hair that seems to present an unbothered impression, and then his strange, haunted eyes. I know deep within myself that there is something there. There is some barrier there that I am not sure I will ever get past. Then again, I have my own barriers up as well. From the surface, we seem to be two people who would never let each other in, just continuously pushing and fighting to break through walls and coming up short.

If this marriage has any chance of being successful, one us must be the first to let our wall down. I just can't decide if I am willing to be the one to do it.

"You are not at all who I thought you'd be, Aspen Carlisle," I tell him honestly.

He seems to be analyzing me just as well.

"Is that a good thing or a bad thing?" he asks.

I manage the most honest answer that I can. "I don't know yet."

~*~

After settling into our new chambers, exhausted, Aspen and I sit on the edge of the bed in tired silence. If I am being honest, I am not sure what to say or do next. But there is one aching question tugging at my mind.

"Aspen, can I ask you something?"

"Sure, anything," he says, though I'm not sure if he necessarily means that.