Chapter Two {Revised}

Juliana

I quickly brace myself before entering the dressing room on the second quarter of the palace. When I walk in, I immediately lose myself in layers of fabrics, sequins, and threads that cover the expanse of the room.

"Juliana? Is that you, darling?" I hear the queen's voice from across the room.

"Yes, Mother. It's me. What's the meaning of this mess?" I confusedly kick a shoe out of my walking space.

"Franz and I have been searching for an evening dress for you to wear later to meet Irina, but then he decided to just make a new one for you."

I sigh. This isn't the first time the queen has run all over the palace searching for something for me to wear before getting Franz to just design a fresh gown or outfit. With no exaggeration, I have about five hundred evening gowns and dresses hung up in my wardrobe in my chambers, and that doesn't even include my regular wardrobe.

"Mother, is that really necessary? I already have so man--" the queen cuts me off by simply holding up her hand.

"And you'll have plenty more. No princess should ever be caught wearing the same dress twice! It isn't proper prin--"

This time, it is I who cuts the queen off. "Proper princess behavior. I understand, Mother."

"Good. Now, come. I want to see you in the dress before tonight," she orders.

As I make my way through a few scattered mannequins, I finally run into a clothed one. On it is a gossamer, peach-colored gown. Around the breast area is a lace pattern while the rest of the dress falls to the floor in layers of peach-colored silk. The dress is beautiful but unnecessary like every other dress that has been custom made for me. I look up to see the queen and a weary-looking Franz standing before me.

"So, what do you think?" the queen smiles one of her rare, genuine smiles and Franz is grinning so hard I start to think that his jawline might implode.

I simply smile. "It's lovely, Franz. As usual, you never fail to impress."

At this, his smile widens, which I didn't think was humanly possible. He gracefully walks up to me and kneels to lightly peck my knuckles.

"Merci, Princesse. Coming from you, it means a great deal," Franz says as he stands. I simply nod in response.

"Okay, Juliana. What are you waiting for? Put it on," the queen orders excitedly, but still manages to contain her ever-present sophistication.

Quickly obliging, I untie the knot on my robe before I am standing only in my silk undergarments. With tremendous care, I step into the gloriously silk dress. As if on cue, Franz walks over and zips me up.

"Ah, magnifique!" Franz's dark eyes glaze with joy.

"Oh, Juliana. You look enchanting, dear. Oh, Franz, you've done it again," my mother muses.

"The pleasure is all mine, your Majesty. Shall I mail you my bill?" Franz asks the queen.

"Yes, of course," she answers.

With that, Franz gives a dramatic bow before exiting the room.

"All right, Juliana. Step out of the dress as to not ruin it before tonight. Oh, and Juliana?" I pause and wait for the queen to continue. "Try not to mess this up. I don't mean to put pressure on you, darling, but there is a lot at stake. As you are aware, Taylor will be in attendance at the dinner so keep the outbursts to a minimum and," she pauses, trying to gather her words. "Don't ever question your maternity again, is that clear?" she finishes, referring to my earlier statement when I accused her of not really being my mother when she sided with Taylor, as she always does. I turn away from the queen and start towards the door.