Chapter 47: Virgin Mary

Juliana's POV

Waking up alone was unexpected.

Waking up with an aching pain between my legs, surrounded by a circle of blood, sure to permanently stain the golden sheets, in a room surrounded by words was an eye raiser.

I took in my surroundings as the memories from last night wafted through my mind only further contributing to my confusion.

My eyes fell on the night table next to me. They skirted over the breakfast platter complete with stacks of pancakes, strips of bacon, poached eggs, and various fruit, and instead landed on the glass of water, pills, and the folded note carefully laid across it all.

Naturally, it was the first thing I picked up.

Jules,

Please excuse my early departure. Your brother and I have some business to handle. Unfortunately that means we will not be present at the Trial this morning. However, you have all of my support--and my love.

Please finish the breakfast I made for you in its entirety. You will need your strength. The pills are for your pain.

Yours,

Aspen

P.S. Please don't have a meltdown about the sheets--or anything, for that matter, while I am gone.

I smiled at the last line he wrote before the reality of his note hit me.

The Trial.

I hadn't forgotten about it. It was always there, lurking in the back of my mind trying to itch it's way into my happiness.

I started to scramble to get out of the tangle of sheets, but the sudden knock on the door was an abrupt interruption. Also, considering my indecency, it was a knock that was not wanted.

I hurried to pull the duvet around my otherwise naked body as the visitor entered.

Haven always had the same look in her eyes, no matter the situation: determination. She always looked as if she had some goal to work towards. And though we looked alike, the same long blonde hair, dark blue eyes, and heart shaped lips, we'd always be set apart by that one look she gave that, try as I might, I would never have.

She paused at the doorway after shutting it completely. I imagine the scene before her would engender that reaction, however, there was something else that entered her eyes that was much more difficult to place. But I could hear it in her voice once she finally spoke.

Heartbreak.

"He-" she hesitated, biting back her emotions. "He slept with you?"

I flushed bright red, though I had nothing to be ashamed about. Except for maybe my lack of clothing.

I held my chin up preparing to respond to her question, though I was sure it must have been rhetorical considering we both knew the answer.

"Why do you sound so surprised? We are engaged, after all."

I did not want to sound boastful, but it was only a direct result of my own insecurity. I knew that Haven still had feelings for Aspen and I hated it. But even more, I hated the tiny voice in my mind that kept telling me that if there ever came a moment where Haven would want to act on her feelings, Aspen would take it. Gladly, at that. Despite the fact that I had once seen him turn her away with my own eyes, I couldn't help but feel that that was for my benefit. And if I was not in the picture, he would take the opportunity to be with her.

"You say that as if it is supposed to have some bearing on his feelings for you. As I recall, the engagement, for however much longer it's even going to last, is arranged. And just for your information, I know more about Aspen than you could ever hope to know. When I met him, he had slept with at least a dozen girls and felt absolutely nothing so I would not hold my head so high if I were you. You could end up being just another notch in his, well, rather large belt. I, however, am the mother of his child."