Section 9.6 of Chapter 9: Let the Games Begin

9.6- In the Bloodbath-THG:

           Peeta had fled as soon as he had received his supplies. He had been through two Hunger Games, and he knew very well that the Bloodbath was one of the worst bits. Too many people fighting in the open, too many deaths on the first day alone. What had it been already... Four? Four deaths on the first day? Four too many. Peeta had always loved the idea of peace, an opportunity he hadn't had when he was growing up, but he did while his own kids were growing up. His own kids. Peeta choked back a sob as he remembered their screams before being taken by the Peacekeepers. There it is again, that word. Peace. Quickly, Peeta realized that a hush had fallen over the plains he was overlooking. No, that wasn't a hush, it was a murmur. One that started softly, then made the jarred Peeta snap back to reality 'Oh, there goes gravity', he thought. The murmur had turned into a scream when he broke out of whatever state he was in. The scream yelled "Scorpius!", and Peeta's heart panged. Rose, the red-haired girl, had clearly cared deeply for Scorpius, and even to now. 'He's gone', Peeta realized. He looked over the ridge obstructing his view and then saw a boy run away from the edge of the cliff right beside the latter. He moved away from there, and decided to chase that boy. Peeta revelled in his speed, and he reached the boy quickly. He rugby-tackled the boy and slammed down on top of him. The boy tried to fight back, but was weak compared to Peeta's brute strength, which allowed the latter to hold him down easily. Soon enough, Rose had managed to catch up. Peeta flipped the boy on his back, and held him. Rose had a mad glint in her eyes, and Peeta knew what was coming. Apparently, so did the boy. He smiled and said "Hey, I'm Ender. Pleased to formally meet you, Rose... Is it?" Rose took out her wand, and Peeta flinched. Ender went on "Well Rose, Scorpius told me so much about you!" Peeta whispered "Shut up" and Ender looked back at him "Why Peeta, you have to love your enemy to fully understand them." Peeta mouthed "Mad" at Rose, but Rose didn't notice. At the mention of Scorpius's name, she lost it. She was charging towards them, and Peeta rolled out of the way. Ender tried to get up, but Rose yelled "PETRIFICUS TOTALUS", and he went stiff as a board. Peeta saw Ender struggling to speak, to move, to do anything, but he couldn't. Only his blue eyes moved, and he saw Rose bearing down upon him. Rose, in pure fury, said "You... Don't... Get... To... Say... His... Name... YOU BLOODY SNAKE!" Peeta was watching from the sidelines, as Rose debated how best to avenge Scorpius. Finally, she said through her teeth "Sectumsempra." and slashes appeared on Ender's body. Blood spurted out, and he lay in a pool of it. He still could not scream, and Peeta heard a cannon fire. Ender was dead, and Scorpius was avenged. Rose looked at Peeta, nodded, and then walked away. The night had come, and they would have to face the darkness in more ways than one.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------