Section 6.4 of Chapter 6: Arrivals

6.4 - In the Glade -TMr:

It took a lot of effort to get Thomas to realize that what he did was right, in killing Harriet. "She was a danger to the Gladers," he was told repeatedly. Yet, that didn't hide the fact that she was his friend too. Sonya thought about what he would think she thought of him, considering Harriet was her best friend. Then again, Minho was his best friend too. Both had lost a loved one, and both had to move on. Sonya walked over to Thomas, and Thomas looked up with pitiful eyes. He braced himself for whatever rage Sonya could give, and that would be whatever he deserved. Sonya however, shoved aside his arm shielding his face, and hugged him. Thomas looked surprised, and Sonya smiled. Sometimes, no wait, most of the time, kindness wins out. Thomas held on tight, and so did Sonya. They didn't talk, their thoughts were enough for that. When they finally broke apart, Thomas had tears down his face, and Sonya's eyes were glistening. "I... I'm sorry, she was your friend," he said, looking abashed. "It's alright, Tommy," she said. However, that only made him worse because only three people had called him that. Of which two were not there with him now. Sonya immediately thought 'Damn it, I'm so stupid.' and moved to comfort him again. When Thomas finally got a grip on himself, and they both became quiet again, they heard booming yells coming from the few shacks that remained. Thomas and Sonya looked at each other, then began to run. When they reached the shacks, they saw a very large Berg awaiting them, and their friends stood around, rounded up by W.I.C.K.E.D. like cattle in the Prairies. Sonya had seen this before, it was a déjà-vu similar to the time when they had been rounded up on the Mountain. 'Were they being kidnapped and taken prisoner AGAIN?' Sonya thought as she watched the Gladers being loaded up onto the Berg. As soon as everyone was on, the bay door closed, and the Berg took off. Director Janson had the task of briefing them, yet again. When he walked out of the cockpit, he was met with jeers and yells of "RATFACE", which he completely ignored, though a vein pulsed in his neck. "Welcome to Phase 4 of the trials," he said while looking around. "It's high time we tell you a bit about the approaching Hunger Games." This got mixed reactions from the Gladers, who didn't quite enjoy the idea of another Phase. When it quieted a little, he continued "As you know, these Games will test your physical and general intelligence, and you had best be prepared. The Tributes receive training provided by the Capitol, however we still have a problem... We need a male Tribute." The boys looked around at each other, some with awe on their faces, most, in fright. Director Janson called out for another W.I.C.K.E.D. official to bring in a bowl, and it already had the names of every male in the Berg. "Ladies and gentlemen, and potential Tributes of all kinds, the male Tribute in the upcoming Hunger Games will be...." Janson reached in and drew out a name. The crowd waited... "Gally!" Everyone swiveled around to look at the boy, who gulped and stood up. Janson acknowledged him with a smile, and radioed ahead to the Capitol. Meanwhile, Thomas had a plan which he hurriedly whispered to the others. As Janson came back, the Gladers rushed him. They surrounded him and managed to capture him after a bit of struggle from the W.I.C.K.E.D. Director. They opened the Bay Doors, while all the while he was screaming bloody murder, and that's just what the Gladers gave him. Bloody murder. They threw him out, and with one final chilling scream, he was sucked into one of the propellers of the Berg. Sonya averted her eyes, as the air turned red. She looked towards Thomas, shocked that he would suggest such a thing, but reluctantly, she agreed with the fact that for their freedom, such a sacrifice had to be made. Even one against her own morals. Thomas knew what had had to be done, and went through with it. Now, it was her turn. The Gladers rushed the remaining W.I.C.K.E.D. members, and as there were no other Pact reinforcements, won easily and disposed of them. They took the cockpit by force, and Sonya rushed for the controls. Before the pilots could react, she ripped off every detachable thing she could find, and the Berg tilted forward. The ground was a green and brown blur, but it was approaching. Sonya thought of a song she liked and then started making a parody as they went down and the pilots called Mayday. The free fall seemed slow so she thought 'Slowly, slowly. It fit the scene worker-made love how it put speed on, got the only key knew how to turn it off, the way the world spirals when you're near, baby take it slow so we can last long' And before she could get to the bit she had spent a while learning, they slammed into the ground, and as the screams faded to silence, Sonya smiled.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------