Section 6.2 of Chapter 6: Arrivals

6.2 - Again on Khione's ice ship-PJO:

After their training session with the ice dummies, Annabeth was delighted to see that Percy had actually broken a sweat. Maybe the hardcore exercises Annabeth came up with worked their magic after all! Annabeth had taken to exploring the ship on their journey, fascinated by how large it was. 'Definitely larger than icebergs' she thought. She watched the clouds skim by her up above, in the dome that was the sky. She saw the wisps forming letters, and said them aloud to herself whenever she saw them take form: "C...O..M...E...A..T...O..N...C...E...W...E...H...A...V...E....S...T...R..U..C..K...A...B..E..R..G...I...T...S...A...C...Q...D...O...L..D..M..A..N". Annabeth watched the sky again, and the clouds formed the same letters again. This time she was ready, and typed letters into her laptop that Daedalus had given her. She quickly tried to make sense of the sentence, for all she knew, it could have been either her imagination or a message from the gods. "Comeatoncewehavestruckabergitsacqdoldman? What does that mean..." She thought about it for a few moments, and then had a moment of realization. "Oh crap," she said as she arranged it the proper way. It read: 'Come at once. We have struck a berg. It's a CQD old man' And she stared in horror. "PERCY!" she yelled. Percy instantly appeared and jumped the railing from above, landing next to Annabeth. "What's wrong?" he asked, worriedly. "Look, I just received a message through clouds forming these letters, and the CQ is the signal wireless operators used to stop transmission and pay attention, and the D is for Distress..." Percy raised an eyebrow "Does this mean someone is in danger?" Annabeth replied "Well, this was the exact same message that Jack Phillips had sent out on the 15th April 1912... On the RMS Titanic..." Percy looked stricken for a second, then both he and Annabeth looked up. A massive white barrier had appeared out of nowhere in front of them, and by the time it was spotted, it was too late to divert course. Annabeth grabbed Percy's arm and pointed with it, and Percy saw Khione perched on top of the wall of ice. Khione yelled "YOU IGNORE GLOBAL WARMING, NATURE WILL OVERTAKE YOU. YOU ARE TOO LATE!!!" Annabeth thought of the trees she had planted with Percy in Camp Half-Blood. At the same time, Percy muttered beside her "It wasn't enough..." They both knew that global warming was a major issue, but the fact that a lot of Campers didn't care or know about it, would one day end up killing them all. As the iceberg rushed towards them, Annabeth knew this was the one that had recently broken off of Antarctica. Perhaps this was the day she'd die, thanks to people choosing to ignore this imminent danger. As the ice ship turned, Annabeth and Percy looked towards each other, and kissed quickly. One last time. They held each other as the ship collided with the iceberg at full speed. The ship listed, then under the weight of the water, with a massive clanging and groaning of metal, tossed everyone overboard as the ship sank. Percy used his power to hurl Annabeth onto a wooden panel while behind them, as the stern of the ship went under. There was only enough room for one on the panel, and Percy felt the freezing cold water swallow him. Annabeth screamed, as Percy went under, and both of them fell into the blackness at the same time.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------