Section 9.1 of Chapter 9: Let the Games Begin

9.1- In Rose's preparation room-HP:

              Rose bore witness to the protest which had deadly consequences. 'How could there still be so much anger in the world?', she thought. She sympathized with the rebels, yet an armed revolt would not help either side. What other option did they have? Peaceful protestation is a good way to get opinions out there, however to leaders like those in the Pact, that would not do to change their minds. There was only one proper solution, to actually sit down and discuss matters. The matter of them listening is the real issue with resorting to diplomacy. Rose was fine with the Games for only one reason. If she won, the Pact would be forced to listen to her. She would have to win. Rose was ready. Bast, who had helped her get ready, was there to see her off. An announcement played out over speakers, and it said a countdown to the lift was inbound. Bast helped Rose into the lift, then gave her a hug. "You'll be fine, just remember, be like a cat, and always land on your feet." Rose smiled back at Bast, then Bast stepped away. The countdown had begun. "10....9....8....7....6....5....4....3....2....1....." and the lift started to rise. Bast blew one last kiss before she disappeared from sight. Rose rose in the tube, until she caught sight of the arena. It looked a fair amount like how she had imagined it to be, from her research, with a Cornucopia in the centre. There was a rocky terrain around her and until the horizon, where the air shimmered wherever she looked. As the second countdown began, she saw the other Tributes on their own platforms in a circle around the Cornucopia, and recognized Eadlyn Schreave as closest to her. She knew very well that if you stepped off the platform before the countdown finished, mines would blow you up. Rose heard Eadlyn muttering under her breath, and she turned to look at her. Eadlyn had a wild look on her face, and Rose called her name. Eadlyn looked up, and smiled. Then she shuffled forward, all the while watching Rose's reaction. As Rose screamed "NO!", Eadlyn stepped off the platform, on purpose. With a loud *BOOM*, the other Tributes looked on, sick to their stomachs, as a cannon went off. The countdown continued. "10....9....8....7....6....5....4....3....2....1....." and the announcer said "Ladies, Gentlemen, and other esteemed persons. Let the Hero Hunger Games, BEGIN!". The foghorn went off, and Rose bolted for the Cornucopia. The Games had, for better or for worse, indeed begun.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------