Chapter 30: Mateo

Two Months Prior

"Mateo, get up." Amari woke me up.

"What? What's going on." I sat up.

"Get up, Mo is the next room over and you need to go, before she gets up."

"So what if she sees me?"

"Look Mateo, last night was great, like really really good, but it was also not supposed to happen."

"So a mistake?" It hurt when she said it wasn't supposed to happen.

"No, not a mistake, it just wasn't supposed to happen."

"Same thing, Amari, but you're right, I was drunk anyways." I wasn't drunk, I wanted to see Amari and one thing lead to another. When I saw her she was beautiful, I just couldn't keep my hands off her.

"I'm sorry, Mateo, it's just..."

"No, it's okay, I'm heading out of here anyways. I see you la...when I see you." I said and walked out the door.

I got home and changed and went to class. I haven't seen Amari since that day in her apartment when we hooked up.

I was walking back to the dorm when Jocelyn came up to me.

"Hey Mateo."

"Hey."

"I was wondering when I would run into you again, I didn't know you went here."

"Yeah, I'm a senior, last year."

"Oh, I'm a senior also."

"Cool."

"Are you busy right now. I know this lunch spot that has the best sandwiches."

"Are you talking about Faison's?"

"Yes, do you know that place?"

"Yeah, me and my ex used to go to that place all the time."

"Oh, well we don't have to go, we can go somewhere else."

"No it's fine, let's go." We walked down the street to Faison's.

After that day me and Jocelyn hung out all the time. We even had a few classes together. She came over and I would go to her place and soon after I asked her to be my girlfriend.

I woke up this morning and remembered that today was Mari's birthday. I typed and deleted so many times, in the end I decided to just not to send her a birthday text. I left my room to see Monaé and De.

"Where y'all going?" Monaé and De was dressed up like they were going out.

"To the club...ouch I mean the convention ventriloquist doctor." De said then Monaé hit him and he switch what he said.

"We not going no where." Monaé said and sat on the couch.

"Okay, then I'mma chill with y'all."

"Don't you go somewhere to be."

"Rude. I'm just trying to hangout. I'm bored."

"What about your little bird, I'm meant friend?" Monaé said trying to be shady.

"I'm trying to hang with y'all. what y'all doing seems more fun. Let's watch a movie, wait should I dress up too, or should y'all dress down because I think it would be ridiculous if I'm dress like this and y'all..."

"Fine, we going to the club, just hurry up." I knew they was going out.

I got up and got dressed and met them in the front room.