Chapter 20: Mateo

Five Weeks Later

I finished my last final and was heading back to my dorm room when Mari called me.

Future Wifey 💍 Calling

"Hey baby."

"Teo, I need you."

"Where are you?"

"Student service building."

"On my way, just stay there."

I hung up and ran all the way to the S.S building and swung open the door and looked for Mari. Once I saw her, she was with De and Monaé, who was couped up in the corner. I walked over.

"What's wrong?"

"My dad took back his money for next semester. Me and Mo can't enroll if we can't pay, we just got the notice this morning on our emails." She was pissed.

"Is there anything you can do? Like maybe see if there is any left over scholarships."

"I don't know, we are checking with our advisor to see if there is anything we can do."

"Monaé and Amari Banks." Mrs. Lorens called out.

We all headed to Mrs. Lorens office.

"So what can I help y'all with?" She asked.

"Well our father paid for a whole years tuition, until recently he pulled back next semesters money. We were wondering if there was anything we could do to earn a scholarship for next semester. I know it's late but we just found out this morning about our fee getting pulled." Mari said explaining her and Monaé situation.

"...I'm not supposed to do this but, there happened to be a couple spots empty for a library assistance. If you and your sister can keep your grades up and obey the rule and regulations you can have it."

"Thank you, thank you so much." Mari and Monaé we're smiling bright.

"But you have to fill out the application and have it back by 8 pm." She handed them both papers.

"Shoot we can do it right now. You got a pen." Monaé said. Mrs. Lorens handed them both a pen.

"Well I'm stepping out and DeAndre stay away from my coffee machine."

"How you going to put me on blast like that, Mrs. lorens. I'm a reformed young man." De said.

"M'kay. I'll be back soon." She walked out the door.

"Shid." De looked around and walked to the coffee machine and grabbed a styrofoam cup.

"What did I say DeAndre." Mrs. Lorens stuck her head back in the room and De dropped his cup.

"I thought you was gone."

"And I thought you were reformed." She snickered and left again.

Mari and Monaé finished the applications and turn them in and we started walking towards the dorm. We were going to head back and watch Jumanji.

"Damn, I forgot something in my car. I'll meet y'all back at the dorm." Mari said and turned in the other direction.

"Wait I'll go back with you." I said and she looked back and nodded. We walked to the parking lot and Mari's car was getting towed.

"What are you doing? That's my car."

"Are you Chanellica Banks?" The tower said.

"No, my name's Amari." He looked at his sheet again and recanted what he said.