Chapter 3: Amari

"Amari, wake up. Mama said if we going to school, we better get ready." Today we were registering for classes and I couldn't be anymore excited.

"I'm up, I'm up."

Ten minutes Later

"Amari get up. I thought you were getting ready." I don't know how it happened. I went back to sleep, but dreamt I got up.

"I'm getting up."

"Nope, get out of bed, I'm standing here, until you get up." Monaé said leaning against my door frame.

"Okay, I'm getting up." I stood up and went in the bathroom and did my daily routine. When I got to my room, my bed was being made by one of our maids, Beatrice. She was like a second mother to all us kids. When my mommy was going to law school, Beatrice would watch us. Make sure we ate, bathe, did our homework. She attended recital and practices. She taught us manners​ and when to talk and how to talk.

Ms. Bea was a 57 year old women and she couldn't have children and was never married. So she considers me and my siblings her own. My parents hired her when my brothers​ were 3 years old and my mom was pregnant with my sister.

"Good morning  Ms. Bea."

"Good morning my baby." She said and kissed my cheek.

"A little Birdy said you and your sister are going to school, Are you excited?" I nodded my head.

"Yes. I can't wait to start classes and meet new people. I think I was going stir crazy." She giggled at my comment.

"Well, congrats and good luck honey. I love you." She told everyone she loves them.

"Thank you Ms. Bea and I love you too." I told her and left for the kitchen.

"Chanellica?"

"Yes, ma'am?" I told my mommy.

"Go get Johawn, he's the last one we waiting on and breakfast is getting cold." My parents always made sure we sat down every meal as a family. We are united as one and thrive as one. My dad would always tell us before he left and that he loves us.

"Okay." I got up from the table and went upstairs to Johawn room. I knocked and nobody answered. I hope he didn't leave because we always ate together, as a family and he knows this."

"Johawn." I knocked again and I thought he said come in, so I did and quickly I regretted it. Why couldn't he just had said something, that would have prevented this from happening. I walked in on Johawn getting his thang sucked by one of his flavor of the week.

"Oh my God, I'm so sorry."

"Get out Amari." I left and was scarred. Then ole girl didn't stop sucking, she saw me and still was still bobbing. I honestly wished he had said something.

"Mommy said hurry up and come down for breakfast." I said through the door. I left to the kitchen and sat down. I couldn't say anything.

"Amari you okay? You look like you just saw a ghost." Ms. Bea was downstairs now.

"I'm okay, I'm just tried." I faked a yawn.

"Okay, get some rest honey or you won't be able to function and learn in class."

"Yes ma'am." Johawn finally, made his way to the breakfast table and sat down exactly across from me, like he always did. I couldn't look at him.

"Amari, can I talk to you before you leave for school?" Johawn asked and I wanted to say no.

"Okay." I should of said no.

We prayed and ate. Everybody knows we pray everyday before we leave the house as a family, because with what my dad does we can only pray and hope we all make it home that night.