Chapter Twenty-Nine

Elly's Point Of View

I am again sitting in Landyn's office going through the endless piles of paperwork.

"Why are you so disorganized?" I mumble reading through another packet of a papers. There was a knock in the door and I'm turned in the chair. "Yes?" I ask.

"Luna? I need to talk to you." A voice said from the door. I furrow my brow, but open the door. I see a women standing there with tears in her eyes. Her face is red and puffy from crying. She looks to be in her late thirties.

"Come in," I am quickly closing the door behind her." She sits in the couch and I grab her a box of tissues. "Who are you?" I ask her sitting beside her.

"Helen," she says simply.

"Okay, Helen, what is you wanted to talk about?" I ask her softly.

"Getting back our souls, is it really worth it?" She asks. "I mean, how many people have died, including Alpha Landyn." I wince, feeling the all too familiar feeling of my heart crying out for its mate.

"I know, I realize it doesn't look good right now. We need our souls back, we need to be people again. We can't go around mercilessly killing people, we need restraint and we need order." I say placing my hand on her shoulder. "We need our souls." I whisper.

"Is it really worth it?" She asks again. I sigh, letting out a big breath. I sit back in the chair and spin myself slowly, thinking deeply about her question.

"It's hard to say, but I really do think that this is important." She nods slowly. "Why did you come crying?"

"A long story," she says closing her eyes. "Can we talk later, in the cemetery?" She asks. I cock my head to the side.

"Why the cemetery?"

"I think it will be fitting."

"Okay, what time?"

"Six?" She asks opening her eyes. Looking into them I can't help but feel I know her from somewhere. I nod, helping her stand.

"See you then Helen." She leaves the room and I sit done again. Suddenly the papers don't seem so interesting.

At six I walk towards the cemetery and I see Helen's figure crouching by a grave. When she hears me she stands up and faces me.

"You really do believe that this is worth it?" She asks me again.

"I don't think anything will be worth their lives, but I think this is important. I think this is needed."

"Just give me an answer!" She yells her dark brown hair flying up in the wind. Her voice is rough, and filled with raw emotion.

"Helen-"

"Stop!" She says holding out her arms when I take a step closer to her. "Just stop!" She pulls out a gun from her jacket and hold it up to me. My mouth falls open and I take a step back.

"Please-"

"Shut up! Shut up!" She yells tears filling her eyes. "Do you know who I am?" She asks.

"No I-"

"Just shut up!" She yells taking a step towards me. I stay where I am, my hands help up in surrender. "I am Helen, I am Vevina's mother." She says. "Do you know how old she was?" I stay quiet, staring at the gun. "She was fifteen, and she's dead because of you and your cause."

"Please don't-"

"Shut up!" She yells again. I ignore her taking a step closer.

"Vevina was peaceful, innocent even. She wouldn't want you to kill."

"You wouldn't know what she wants!" She yells. "She was so young. Do you know how many want you dead? Killing you will only lessen the pain I feel."

"It won't," I whisper taking another step closer.

"Elly," a voice says next to me. I turn and see Celeste.

"Let me handle this, I don't want you to kill her." I whisper looking at her.

"No, she'll kill you!" I close my eyes and block her out. I hear her feeble protests before she disappears.

"No one else will die because of me." I take another step closer and she opens her mouth to scream. "You don't what this," I whisper to her.

"You don't know what I want!"

"If you do this, you will never get your soul back, and you can never be with Vevina."

"Vevina is dead!"

"I know, but she is in heaven, and if you kill me you will never go to heaven."

"Shut up! I am doing the world a favor." I take a deep breath taking yet another step closer. I am but steps away, if I can get close enough I can grab the gun.

"Do you remember how small she was, how small and cute?" I say my voice taking on a completely different tone. My voice is soft and sweet, completely disregarding the pleading tone it had earlier. Her grip on the gun loosened. I took another step, just a few more. "Do you remember how soft her voice was? How beautiful her eyes were?" Her eyes filled with tears and I took another step. "Think about her looking down at you now? What would she think?"

"She wouldn't like what I am doing." She says softly. "But it's because of you she's dead!" Her eyes because closed off and she tightened her grip on the gun. Whatever leverage I had its gone now. She takes and deep breath and I jump forwards and grab the gun from her hands. I push her hand up just as a ear splitting bang fills the air. I wrench the gun from her hand and hold it in my hand. She shifts into her wolf and lunges at me, her teeth bared. I raise the gun and shoot before I have time to think. She falls to the ground whimpering. Her light brown chest was beginning to turn red with her own blood. I drop the gun weakly and gasp for breath. I drop to the ground beside her and tears fill my eyes. She looks at me with those familiar eyes and I clench my fists, gasping for breath. Those eyes, those ghostly green eyes will haunt me forever. Both for Vevina's death, and Helen's.

"I am so sorry!" I whisper for and over. She whimpers again and I sob over her dying body. Her eyes look at me once more and I see guilt in her features. "I'm so sorry," I whisper once more before her eyes roll back and she goes limp. Her body transforms back into her human form and I take off my jacket. I lay it over her body just as it starts to rain. I sit in the puddle of blood and water as the rain begins to soak through my shirt. After the minutes I am sitting shivering in the cold wind with my hair hanging in a thick sheet around me. I feel someone's hands on me, but I don't look up.

"Lets get you inside." Brad said helping me up. He leads me inside and into Landyn's room. Avril walks in and they talk quietly for a few minutes as I sit shivering on the bed.

"We have to get you warmed up." Everything I hear sounds as if I am hearing it through a plastic bag. My vision is blurred, not focused on anything. I close my eyes, I killed a woman. I shot her. I am a killer.

•••

What did you think of this chapter? Did you guess who Helen was? Did you think Elly would shoot her? Comment, vote and check out my other stories! Killing my mate has over one thousand reads!! Thank you so much!! It makes me so happy!