Alternate Reality [5]

Eric woke up, startled with the sound of creaking and rustling, on the distance, a baby crying.

He looked to the side, Morgan was sleeping. Next to her, the baby monitor, turned off.

He stood up and walked out of the bedroom towards the other one, listening to the cries muffle along with sucking noises.

He opened the door and found Aleks, snuggling next to Sia, holding the pacifier to her mouth.

"What are you doing?" He whispered, Aleks lifted his eyes to him quickly.

"She was crying" he whispered.

Eric held the baby monitor in his hand and inspected, this one was turned on, but the receiver must've been out of batteries.

He looked back to his kids again, leaning over the crib and looking at Sia suck at the pacifier while Aleks silently touched her chest.

"She's lucky to have you" he whispered "you're a good brother"

Aleks smiled proud and looked down at the baby.

"I know" Eric snorted at his vanity and shook his head. He reached his arms and took Aleks out of the crib, being careful to not wake the baby up. Before placing him down he gave him a kiss on the cheek.

"You did good buddy, now go to bed and sleep okay?"

"What if she wakes up again?" He said, looking at Eric. He silently lead Aleks to his room while talking.

"If she wakes up again, mommy or I will come and take care of her, because that's what parents do"

"I'm supposed to take care of her too" Aleks fought back. Eric lifted him up and placed him on the bed, pulling the covers on his body

"Yeah, but from other people who want to hurt her, when she's older. As long as she's little, it's the parent's task to take care of her"

"Okay" he said. Resting his face in the pillow "am I gonna get a trophy?"

"A trophy? Where'd you get that idea?"

"Mom said that if I'm good with the baby I'll have a trophy"

"Well" he leaned in and kissed his forehead "you'll settle that one with your mom"

Aleks smiled and placed his hand under his cheek and closed his eyes.

Eric silently tried to look for batteries in the drawers, in the kitchen, until he found some on the desk of his office.

He walked to the bedroom, picking up the receiver and opening up the cover, replacing the batteries. With the click and clacks of the device, Morgan woke up.

"What are you doing?" She said with a little voice. Closing her eyes again and laying her head back on the pillow.

Eric saw the red lines appear in the monitor and left it next to her on the nightstand.

"This one was out of batteries." He climbed next to her and Morgan snuggled closer "Aleks herd Sia cry and hopped with her on the crib to make her sleep"

"Aw" she said slowly "that's my boy, I raised him good"

"He said he'll get a trophy from you? What have you told him"

"A trophy for Aleks is usually like, a candy, given that you don't let him eat any"

Eric shook his head.

"There's a reason for that."

Morgan hummed, letting Eric know she was about to drift to sleep again.