Blood Born - Chapter 47

I tried to sit in the metal tub; however, the newly formed wings got in the way. No matter which way I sat, they were there, and sitting on them hurt. Sighing heavily, I stood as the water cascaded off my body. My newly scaled skin shone in the firelight.

"What's wrong, my queen?"

"What's wrong? Look at these things!" I bellowed, grabbing the feathered wings and shaking them.

I tugged a bit too hard and pulled them at the shoulder blade.

"Ouch." I sunk into the basin again and cried. "What am I?"

"You're something special."

"Special? Look at me, Charlene! I'm not special. I'm a monster."

"Evelyn, you are not a monster. You are a queen. You are a mother. You are part dragon. How many people can say they are part dragon?"

I shook my head, "What is so great about all of this?"

I held up the wings, shaking them again.

Charlene knelt next to me, dragging a cloth across my shimmering shoulders. "You are an amazing queen and the protector of your people. Look at you, Evelyn. You having wings. You are the only one who can defeat the Guild. You died, yet you live."

"The Guild. They're the reason for all of this. The reason I even bonded with dragons in the first place."

"Is it that terrible though?" she sat back on her heels and arched her brows at me.

I stood and looked at the droopy wings. "I don't even know how to fully control them."

"Practice."

I rolled my eyes as the door to my chamber squeaked open.

"Who goes there!" I yelled.

"Relax woman, it's me."

"James!"

"I wanted to see how you are."

He reached out and rubbed my feathers.

"Can you not?" I asked.

"Forgive me. I've just never seen a person with wings before."

"I've never had wings before."

"What does it feel like?" he asked, circling around me.

I shrugged, causing the large objects attached to my back to shake. "They feel cumbersome."

"Have you tried moving them around?"

"I don't know how."

"Interesting."

I flexed my back, causing the feathers to expand behind me. "Oh, that's new."

"What did you do?" Charlene asked.

"I just stretched out my shoulders."

"Try it again," James said, pushing my wings back down.

I nodded and stretched my back again. The wings flung out as though they had a mind of their own.

"Focus on them. The feeling you have as you move," James muttered, circling me.

I reached out an arm to stop him, in the process a wing sprung forward smacking him in the face. "Stop doing that."

"What?" he asked.

"Going around and around. You make me feel so awkward."

"How are we going to hide them?" Charlene asked.