The 'Curse'

The plan had been laid out perfectly. It should've been simple, really. So, why in the world is Aki by their side? Killua couldn't stop his thoughts from plaguing him. As he shadowed the Phantom Troupe with Melody and Aki's clone, Killua couldn't stop himself from trying to understand Aki's reasoning.

One of the reason he saw to this change was the occurrence of a bigger trouble than originally planned out while he was talking to the spider's boss. With Aki's skills, Killua didn't doubt his ability to escape them at any moment. So, why is he still following them—almost too willingly?

Killua tutted. If only his useless clone had brought in more information. As it stands, they were stuck at following the group from a safe distance.

Then the plan seemed to have completely crumbled when Kurapika himself started running after them in a panic. And that's how Gon and Killua were back to being prisoners. 

"Oh! It's your 'buddies'. Have they come to try and rescue you?" Machi teased. 

What Aki said next shocked Killua and Gon. With cold eyes, she looked at them like they were dirt on her shoes. "They're not my buddies. Not anymore." 

Killua had to bite his lip to keep himself from saying anything that would give their intention away. Gon, on the other hand, took it too personally. 

"What did you do to Aki?!" He growled. His aura spiked, visibly disturbed. 

"We didn't do anything. He chose to join us by his own accord." Machi replied smugly. 

"That's right. It's better if you get that through your thick skull already." Aki coldly added. This wasn't Aki. No—Gon refused to believe this was Aki's will.

"I'm sure you guys threatened him about his clan. Aki would never join you otherwise!" Gon seethed. "Killua! Help me get Aki back."

 The light-haired boy shook his head. And, Gon froze. He didn't understand. Why did Aki—?

"Let him be, Gon. I've always known that guy was not to be trusted. Let him be." Killua hoped that Gon got the message. 

Gon looked at him with confused eyes, before he got what Killua was hinting. The light returned to his eyes. 

"It's a good thing you're quick on the uptake, Killua." Killua flinched at the sound of Aki calling his name coldly. It almost broke his resolve. After all, he had his own doubts. He was scared of the possibility of them brainwashing her.

But, good thing they had prepared a secret code beforehand. 

"So? What are we going to do with them, boss?" Machi asked.

"... Tie them up for now." 

Gon glared silently when Machi used her Nen strings to tie his arms behind him. 

"Are you sure you want to keep these guys around?" Aki cut in, just after Chrollo finished talking to the phone with Phinks.

"What's the matter? It's not like you are affiliated with them anymore." Chrollo replied.

"Exactly. So why are you taking them with us?" 

Chrollo chuckled coldly. "We have our own separate agenda before the real party starts—the chain user. That comes first."

Gon and Killua tried hard not to flinch. 

"And what does that have to do with them?"

"I have trust in Machi's intuition. If she says they are connected to the chain user, then we're going to keep them alive for now—at best."