Parting

Aki

I heard whispers, just as I was regaining my consciousness. 

"⏤wake him up." A familiar voice urged. I could've sworn it sounded like that lady back then, hazelnut something⏤

"Yes, Haizel-sama." 

Oh right, Haizel...

Wait, wait⏤what?!

The shock brought me out of my stupor as I felt the presence of two people, watching me. I feinted sleep, keeping my eyes closed. There was a rustling sound, before I felt someone's presence hover above me. Cold hands grasped my face, and I nearly jumped in fright. I felt him tap my cheek a couple of times, irking me. If I wasn't faking sleep, I would've smacked that hand away.

"...He's still in deep sleep, m'lady." The deep voice announced, finally stopping his slaughter of my cheeks.

"Very well. Inform me, the moment he wakes up." Haizel, yes that bitch, commanded. "Let's get moving!" She yelled, clapping her hands in chop-chop style. I heard the engine roar to life, and before long, we were moving. 

Crap. What the hell happened? I thought I was with the Troupe... why is Haizel here? And that guy⏤what's his name again? Chain...?

"It's Cain. And, you can stop pretending to sleep." 

I opened one eye tentatively, peaking at 'Cain'. He was seating across from me, eyes closed and arms crossed. I frowned at him.

"... Do you read minds?" I asked, cautious. 

"Something like that." He replied, shrugging his shoulders. I sat up ignoring the throbbing headache, and opted to look around me. Seems like I'm inside a pick-up truck of sorts. The seats were metal, not an ounce of cushion or any comfy pillow. However, the interior design was neat⏤like one of those commercial cars. 

The 'handle' to the exit wasn't too far. Only, Cain was leaning on it⏤curse him and his 'lady'. Outside the truck, it was dark. Only faint outline of trees could be made. I debated escaping through the window behind me.

"Not a good idea." Again, Cain intervened my line of thought. "The glass is basically titanium. And if you even try breaking it, the alarms would go off at the smallest hint of Nen. Haizel would immediately stop the car and taser you."

I couldn't help but scowl at Cain. For a while, I thought that he was only half-joking when he said that he could 'somewhat' read minds. But, I guess he wasn't lying. What's his deal...? 

"I wanted to talk to you before that happens." Cain declared, finally opening his eyes. Black, the color of abyss. Not even light seemed to reflect off his eyes⏤an exaggeration, maybe. And then, I saw it... the same black-smokey thing. 

For the umpteenth time tonight (is it still nighttime?), I was met with another Shinikage. What's more, he was that thief. So, that Haizel girl wasn't just some bratty socialite. 

I frowned at him. What is it with these Shinikage people kidnapping me? First Feitan and now this snob. Cain snorted.

"You can see it... even though I'm suppressing them..." Cain cut in, looking at me with amusement and mild curiosity in his eyes. 

"What do you mean?"

"The smoke... it's the number of souls you have⏤all Shinikage has it."

I stared at him incredulously and he met my gaze. He averted his eyes, flinching.

"You should learn to keep it under wraps. How do you think I found you, Aki Uchiha?" 

Goosebumps appeared on my arms, and I suddenly remembered Feitan's words.