Shared Memory

It's been two days, seven hours, and 56 minutes since Hisoka left. That's two days, seven hours, and 56 minutes with Aki just lying on the bed, drowning in her own misery.

They say heartbreak was a pain in the arse, but depression was the bigger stick. (Those who get it, get it 😏)

There was something about the separation that angered Aki to the depths of her soul. It maddened her⏤to the point of disability. Aki didn't leave the hotel room, except to eat. She didn't talk to anyone when she got back. She just... lied there in bed. 

Killua and Leorio let her be. Despite their concern for Aki, they couldn't stop their money-making business. Even Gon⏤ever the older brother figure who accompanied Aki most of the time⏤had to leave too.

Aki was left in the hotel with all the demons in her mind to keep her company.

The first day, she cried a little when no one was there to see her sob. Memories kept replaying in her mind⏤her unprecedented past, mixing with the memories she made with Hisoka⏤like an old vintage film. Aki laughed bitterly at the analogy.

It's like, the movie only gets worse as the plot advances. 

Nothing seemed logical anymore. And, for a manipulator like Aki, the absence of reason in her life was devastating. It was the only thing tying her mind down to reality.

Theories swarmed her mind, as she tried to reach a plausible conjecture, trying to answer the why's. Why did he leave? Why was he there that night? Why... why did he feel regretful? Sadly, none of her made-up theories seemed to tickle her intuition for the truth.

Not long after, she grew bored of watching the unmoving ceiling. She would move to the windows and watch people walk by. But, eventually she grew tired of it too—because it reminded her of Hisoka's retreating back.

After three days of moping, Aki decided to pull herself together. It was not enough time to put away the pesky questions that never left her mind. However, it was enough time for her to get her wits back together. Those three days were enough to chip away at her repressed feelings. 

The moment she started helping in the arm-wrestling business again, the gang didn't question her. They did their best to act like nothing happened. For that, Aki felt grateful. However, that didn't mean that they weren't dying out of worry for her.

Five days after the event, Leorio finally asked her after they got home from 'work.' As a medical student, he was able to quickly establish rapport with Aki. It wasn't long before she opened up about it. 

At first, she tried to keep it short. But, the more she talked with Leorio, the more she found herself ranting. She raved about the unfairness of the world. She told him Hisoka's farewell and his confusing actions. But nothing of the Shinikage, she mentioned.

For a while, Leorio was silent. Then, Gon and Killua turned up at the other side of the door. Apparently, they happened to overhear the whole conversation. Gon immediately went to Aki's side and patted her on the back. He offered her soothing words of courage. It gave her strength, and she thanked him.

"You know, from his words, it's highly probably that Hisoka has found himself a deal with someone. And it involved you." Killua stated after a moment of ruminating over the facts.

"But, why? Why did he have to leave?" Aki stubbornly asked. Because it didn't make any sense⏤not after more than a year of cohabitating. 

Killua had no answer to that. Gon watched Aki suppress her tears, and in the moment, the brunet made a new resolve.