Chapter 9: Accident

Start from the beginning

“Hey babe.”

“Hey, are you busy right now? I want to go over to get my homework.”

“Yeah sure, I’m always free for you.”

"AHAHAHA, that was so cheesy. Ok see you in a few.” I continued to giggle.

"K.” I pressed the end button and grabbed my keys and purse. I scribbled a quick note and left it on the dining room table. Knowing my parents, they would probably care less about where I was going.

***

My car broke through the silent street. Leaves were strewn everywhere from when the wind had blown them. I stopped the car as I arrived in front of Delano’s house. I turned off the engine, checked myself in the rear view mirror and got out of the car. The sound my sneakers were making broke through the silence. Before I got to the door, Delano was already there. I walked up to him and smiled.

“Why don’t you come in?” Delano asked before I could even greet him. Even though the warmth from his house was inviting, I couldn’t stay. I had to get home, it was getting pretty late and the dark scared me.

“Its fine, I just came to pick up my homework, my parents are expecting me.” I lied. I didn’t know why I had felt suddenly compelled to lie to Delano. His eyes narrowed just a fraction, seemingly to inspect me.

“Alright, well here’s your homework.” He walked over to the shoe case and took the big pile of paper off. I took it from him and stuffed it into my purse. My hands were slowly becoming numb in the cold September air. Even though I wore three layers, the wind still made me shiver as it blew by.

“Are you sure you don’t want to come in? I have a cup of coffee with your name on it.”

“As tempting as that sounds, I’ll pass this time.” Delano leaned down and gave me a kiss. It took a minute for me to respond, and it seemed to be a minute too long for Delano.

“What’s with you tonight? You don’t want to come in, and now you’re not accepting my kisses? What is there someone else?”

I was dumbfounded. I was sure I looked like an idiot, my mouth hanging open, my eyes wide from the shock. How had he suddenly come to the conclusion that I was seeing someone else? Delano always seemed so calm, but today, it seemed like there was something nasty in him that was waiting to come out.

“Uh, I can tell you’re pretty mad right now, so I’ll just leave. But let's just make it clear, I'm not seeing anyone else.” I slowly backed away, scared for my own safety. Delano stepped closer to me.

“No you listen to me. Why are you doing this? Did I do something wrong?”

“What? No you did nothing wrong, why would you think that? I just need to get home. My parents are waiting for me.”

“No they’re not. They’re not even at home. Don’t lie to me”

My breath caught at that. How did he know that my parents weren’t home? I turned around quickly and ran towards my car, ignoring the desperate cries that were coming from Delano. I was really rattled at how he knew that my parent’s hadn’t been home when I left. I changed the gear shift, my hands shaking. I slowly U-turned and zoomed off. Happy to get further away from this new stranger that I had just met. Before I got too far, I spotted a police car flashing red and blue in the darkness. My curiosity got the better of me and I drove closer to the scene of the crime. There seemed to have been an accident, a white Lexus had slid off the street and into a ditch. Wait, a white Lexus? My dad drove a white Lexus. Please let this be a coincidence. Although I didn’t particularly like my parents, it didn’t mean that I wanted them to be harmed. I pushed down on the brakes, causing a few cars behind me to squeal to a halt to avoid collision. I earned some honks as I pulled to the side of the road. Without taking the keys out of the engine, I opened the door and ran towards the flashing lights.

“Young lady, what are you doing?”

“Please tell me the license plate of that car.” I said breathlessly.

“I’m afraid that’s confidential information Miss. I’m sorry but I have to ask you to leave.”

“Please.” I looked up at the officer, he must have seen the tears in my eyes, because the next thing I knew he was telling me how he would only say this once.

“912 LUA”

I blinked. That couldn’t be. It was the license number that I was so familiar with. Tears began to leak from my eyes.

“Miss, Miss are you alright?”

“Please, tell me, will the person be alright?”

“We don’t know, he’s in critical condition. The ambulance just left a few moments before you pulled up, might I ask who you are.”

“I’m Jasmine Blakewood, th-th-that person is my father.” I stuttered

At that the police’s hard face softened and he regarded me closely. “I’m not suppose to tell you this, but your father is being sent to the Chesterfield General Hospital.”

“Thank you.” I said as I began to run back to my car. I fumbled with the door before I could get it opened. Once opened, I threw myself in and drove down the street at a breakneck speed. I couldn’t get to the hospital fast enough. I was so worried that my hands were clamped tightly around the steering wheel to keep them from shaking. When the bright lights of the hospital finally came into view, I let out a breath that I didn’t know I had been holding.

Finding a parking space, I parked and ran up towards the door. The administration staff looked at me as I ran up to them. I must have been a mess, my hair was wild and my eyes were probably red from crying. “Blakewood, Brian Blakewood please.” I managed to mutter.

“Sorry he’s in surgery right now, if you would like to wait, please do so in the waiting area over there.” She pointed to a space with chairs and a coffeemaker that was probably brewing cheap coffee.

“Thank you.” I poured myself a cup of coffee and slowly lowered myself into the plastic chair. The walls were, just like the walls at my school had been, white, that dreadful colour. I closed my eyes to rest for a moment, but I must have dozed off because the next thing I knew, I felt a pair of hands shaking me awake. I forced my tired eyes open.”

“Jasmine. Jasmine are you okay?” Aaron’s voice sounded desperate, as if I had died or something.”

“Aaron, what are you doing here?”

“Jasmine it’ll be alright.” At the sound of that, tears began to streak down my face. Aaron pulled me into his embrace, letting me soak my tears on his t-shirt. I must have looked so attractive at that moment.

“You’re always attractive in my eyes Jasmine.”

I stared at him. So he could read minds now too? What other powers does he have and why did he come?

“I came because, I can help.”