nightmares and conversations

I wake up out of breath, remembering the last few moments of my nightmare. It was dark and there were these tall dark figures around me, they were doing something. Something that made sharp pains rip through me, causing me to scream and startle awake. I guess I must have screamed out loud and not just in my dream, because Sam's mother comes running into the guest room that I'm sharing with K.C., and I just now notice K.C.'s not in her bed.

"Kaison what's wrong?" Sam's mother asks.

"It was just a nightmare," I say as if it was nothing "where's K.C.?" I change the subject, but at the same time, I'm actually curious.

"She's in my room, she woke up to you screaming, she was a little freaked out," she tells me sitting down next to me on the bed. "Why don't you tell me about your dream" she tucks a strand of hair behind my ear.

"It was nothing, really, I can't even remember it" I lie, because I can remember it, it was the same dream I've been having for the last three nights, but it's getting worse, each night it seems to be more intense than before.

"That happens sometimes, are you going to be able to get back to sleep?" She asks, concern written all over her face. I reply by nodding my head, "Alright then, I'll let you get back to sleep then, and if you have another nightmare just tell me okay." She says before kissing me on the forehead and leaving.

A few minutes later K.C. comes back in, she lays down next me and pulls the covers up. "Don't worry I'll sleep with you so you don't get scared. That's what Mom does when me and Chase have nightmares" she tells me, sounding much older than she is, as if our roles were reversed and I was the little kid, and she was the teenager.

I smile "thanks I feel safer already" after a couple minutes of silence we both fall back to sleep.

~o~

The next day we're pulling into the driveway and as soon as we're parked K.C. unbuckles herself and Chase, and they both run into the house. Sam's mother looks at me "well it was nice meeting you, tell Sam I'm sorry I couldn't stay to talk I have somewhere to be," she says as I get out of the car, she then leans out the wind "love you, bye."

"Bye," I wave as she backs down the driveway. When I walk in, I find Sam on the couch watching TV. He's wearing a football jersey "Hey, where's..." I trail off.

"Relax, she's not here. She went grocery shopping, and won't be back for an hour" he tells me.

I let out a breath of relief, I was really not looking forward to another argument with Clare. "Okay" I then start to turn towards the stairs.

"Wait" he calls out, as he stands up and makes his way over to me.

I turn back around "yeah?"

"Actually, I wanted to talk to you about something," he says uncomfortably, rubbing the back of his neck "well Clare wanted me to, but about Noah" I cut him off.

"There's nothing to talk about, Noah's my friend and I'm not going to avoid him because Clare says so. I mean she's being a little hypocritical if you ask me" I tell him, I can't believe she was going to have Sam talk to me.

"Look I know she used to be a bad influence, but she's an adult now and she's just trying to do what's best for you" he reasons, making gestures with his hands, as if he was making some huge presentation.

I look at him confused "she wasn't a bad influence on me, you can't be a bad influence if the person your influencing doesn't agree to do something against their judgment."

"Wait, your messing me up, what are you talking about?" He asks, looking completely clueless as to what I meant.

"Earlier when I said she was being hypocritical, I was talking about her ex that was a 'bad influence' on her, not her influencing me" I explain, wondering how he didn't make that connection.