Chapter 55

"I'll get it!" I yelled.

I shot off the couch after hearing the sound of the doorbell ringing through the house. I probably seemed overly excited, but this night was a special night. My parents had decided to throw a celebratory dinner for the announcement of yet another tour and my final day in Miami, and since we lived only twenty minutes from each other, Camila and her family were invited. My dad wasn't so sure; he still wasn't quite warmed up to the idea of Camila, but the fact that he had no idea we were actually together again played a huge role in his decision to allow her to join us for dinner. Little did he know, Camila and I had something special up our sleeves that we planned to pull out over dinner.

I ran through the house and unlocked the door, pulling it open to reveal Camila's parents and Sofi on the other side.

"Lauren!" Sofi shouted, sprinting forward and wrapping her tiny arms around my legs.

"Hey, Sofi," I chuckled. "You've gotten so big!"

She blushed and backed away, evidently feeling bashful and taking shelter behind her parents. They both smiled at me and I returned the gesture, pulling them both in for a simultaneous group hug.

"Hello, Lauren, how are you?" her mother asked me. "Long time, no see."

"I'm really well," I smiled. "Um...where's Camila?"

Her father turned around and peered over his shoulder, shrugging and releasing a heavy sigh to signal he didn't have the slightest clue.

"Go look for her if you want," he suggested. "Maybe you can convince her to hurry up."

I nodded and watched as they all entered the house and rounded the corner into the kitchen. I slipped outside when they were busy being greeted by my family and sprinted down the driveway to where Camila's car was parked. The inside of the car was pitch black. It didn't look like anyone was around.

"Camz?" I called.

I shook my head in confusion when I didn't receive a response and stepped around to the edge of the driveway near the side of the house. I peeked my head around the corner and stared into the shadows cast by the full moon, but I still saw no sign of Camila until I felt a pair of soft hands slip under the hem of my shirt and grip my hipbones. Before I could react, her lips were on mine and my back was against the side of the house. I felt her smile and could see the white from her smirk in contrast to the night sky as she pulled back.

"Don't be so loud," she scolded. "Do you really want our parents looking for us?"

I kissed her again in response. Alone time was something we both cherished, even if it was pressed against the side of my house with both of our families inside. Constantly being surrounded by company no matter where we were would always be a hassle, but it was times like these that made it all worth it. Maybe there were half a dozen people just inside the door, but in that moment, it was just the two of us and our lips. Not even space had the room to interrupt us; Camila was pressed as close to my body as possible with her fingers tangled in my hair. I'd noticed over the years that her hands had a tendency to describe how she felt. When they were soft and moving slow, she just wanted to be loved. When they were wandering and aggressive, she wanted more, but now, when they were wrapped up in the fabric of my shirt and gently caressing the skin underneath, I knew she just wanted that moment. She gripped the back of my neck like she was gripping the little time we had together before we had to separate.

"Camz," I mumbled in the midst of her kiss.

She pulled back, taking my bottom lip softly between her teeth and then biting down on her own.