Chapter 7

I woke up to dead silence. The only sounds were the rush of blood through my veins and the air conditioning pulsating through the vent above my bed. I sat up and ran a hand through my hair, sighing to myself at the sight of the empty bedroom, Camila and Dinah nowhere to be found. I threw my covers off and let my feet hit the cold floor below me, lingering there as I tried to shake the sleep away. I walked across the cool tile, my bare feet sticking to the hard surface with every step. I could hear laughter as I approached the kitchen and felt myself relax at the familiar sound of Camila's deep chuckle.

"Morning guys," I greeted as I pushed through the double doors to reveal my assembled group of friends.

"Look who's finally up. Long night last night, huh?" Wes asked sarcastically, casting a quick glance at Keaton.

I ignored him and prayed that no one else had noticed the gesture. So what? Wes knew, no big deal. As long as he didn't tell anyone else there wouldn't be a problem. I pulled a bowl out of the cabinet and found a seat next to Camila, pouring myself some cereal and taking a bite.

"How come no one decided to wake me up this morning?" I asked her, a small chuckle escaping my lips.

"I told them not to," she answered flatly, her eyes remaining trained on her bowl of cereal.

"Are you okay?" I wondered, noticing her sudden mood swing since yesterday.

Camila let go of her spoon and it clattered into her bowl, startling everyone else and causing their attention to be directed towards us. She gripped the counter and pushed her stool out, standing up and wiping her palms on her sweater.

"I'm fine," she stated simply, and then she turned and walked into our room, shutting the door behind her.

"Does anyone else get the sense that she's not fine?" Keaton said, finally speaking up.

Our eyes fixed on each other momentarily but he looked away, either too embarrassed from the night before or too worried about drawing attention to the two of us.

"Maybe I should see what's wrong," I suggested, copying Camila's earlier actions and following her path to the bedroom, knocking quietly before cracking the door and stepping inside.

"What was all that about?" I asked, pointing to the kitchen and taking a seat on the edge of her bed.

"People have been asking me if I'm okay all morning and it's getting annoying," she shared. "I can't count how many times I've said I'm okay."

"Well, it's probably just because they can sense that something is up just like I can," I said, swinging my legs over the bed so that I could lie down on my back next to her.

"That doesn't mean I want to talk about it," she snapped.

"Then you should probably do a better job of hiding it. Otherwise people are obviously going to be curious," I retorted.

"Or maybe everyone else should stop being so nosy." She paused, realization washing over her face at how ridiculous she sounded. "I've just never been one to talk about my feelings. Besides, it's stupid."

"I've never heard you say anything stupid, Camz," I told her.

Her brown eyes found my green ones and she shifted her head on the pillow so that she could see me better.

"Did you kiss Keaton last night?" she asked bluntly.

"Uh...I mean...technically he kissed me but, yeah, there was kissing," I admitted.

She scoffed at my words, causing me to raise my eyebrow in amusement.

"It's not fair," she whispered.