Chapter 33

September, 2013

To say that I was confused would be an understatement. I thought Camila and I would have been right back to square one- right back to avoiding each other and barely speaking- but it was actually the exact opposite. She never told me what happened that night at the park. She never brought it up. Whatever it was had clearly upset her, but it was almost as if she forgot about it the very next day. Instead of running away from the problem like I thought she would, she just pushed it aside. If anything we became closer. We spent every day together. We laughed and joked like best friends and stayed up late every night talking like nothing had ever happened.

I was happy that things were so simple between us, but I still worried that she had let everything go so quickly. Usually when something was bothering her I could tell. She was never good at hiding her emotions, and anytime something upset her it would show, but this time she showed no signs of despair. It was like she was numb. The broken look that she wore before had been replace by absolutely nothing. She was void. She just didn't care anymore, and although it made it easier to get along with her, something wasn't right.

I wanted her to move on so that we could be friends. I wanted her to forget that we had ever loved each other and allow things to go back to the way they were before, but it was almost as if she gave up too quickly. Even I still craved her affection sometimes. Even with a boyfriend and plenty of other distractions I still missed her, and it made no sense whatsoever that she didn't seem to have any desire to win me over.

I was still waiting for her to crack. I was waiting for her to admit that she still loved me, that she wanted me back, even if I didn't necessarily feel the same way. I knew there would be a moment when she gave in and everything would make sense again, but until then I would have to settle with an entirely too confusing friendship.

...

One month before the release of our EP we received the news that we would be moving into smaller apartments. Management felt that all the time together in one apartment would eventually drive us all insane, so they suggested that we move minutes away from each other and pick one roommate. We were given time to decide who we wanted to live with but we decided to keep it a surprise, mostly because everyone wanted to see the apartment choices before we made a final decision. We packed up all our bags and said goodbye to the place we called home in LA and hopped in the shuttle, ready to turn the page to the next chapter of our lives.

"Hey guys..." Ally said sheepishly from the backseat.

I turned around to face her as she stared down at her hands, thinking about whatever was attempting to escape her lips.

"Um...before we make any decisions, I think you should all know that I'm moving in with Troy," she informed us.

"Aw, come on Ally! Do you really want to move in with your boyfriend when you've got four best friends right here?" Camila teased.

"Yes," Ally chuckled. "But we're only a few minutes away from you guys. It's not like you'll never see me again."

"I'm totally cool with it," Dinah chimed in. "I can only take so much Ally on a daily basis."

Ally pouted and crossed her arms over her chest, eliciting laughter from the rest of us. The shuttle pulled up outside of Troy's apartment moments later and Ally collected the few bags that she had packed, crawling out of the vehicle and meeting her boyfriend's embrace on the sidewalk. She waved goodbye as we drove away and Camila rolled down the window, leaning out of it to address Ally.

"You kids have fun! Don't get into any trouble!" she called.

She pulled herself back inside and smiled at me, placing a hand on my knee.