Chapter 8

"I don't want to leave," Dinah whined as she zipped her last suitcase.

"If we don't leave we don't get to go to live shows," Ally reminded her.

"Yeah, but this place is so dope. I wish I could live here all the time," Dinah argued.

"Just think, we get to leave the judges' house and go back to the comfort of our tiny hotel rooms," I teased.

"Good," Camila laughed. "I need a break from all of you."

"I second that," Normani agreed.

We carried our bags out to the shuttle that was waiting outside the house and placed them in the trunk before going back in to make sure we hadn't left anything.

"I don't get a hug before you leave?" Keaton asked as soon as we walked through the door.

"We're going to the same place, Keats," I reminded him as he wrapped me up in his arms anyway.

"But I'll miss you while we're apart," he whined.

I forced a smile and walked to my room, checking it one last time to make sure I had all my belongings. I heard the familiar sound of Camila's tiny footsteps behind me as she entered trough the doorway.

"You forgot something," she chirped.

"What? I thought I got everything," I argued.

"You did, except you're missing one thing," she said matter-of-factly as she jumped onto the bed, swinging her legs back and forth in front of her.

"And what's that?" I asked knowingly, catching on to her charades.

"Me!" she squeaked, placing her hands under her chin and cocking her head to the side, a goofy grin plastered on her face.

I rolled my eyes and walked over to her, holding out my hand for her to take so we could get back to the shuttle.

"I could never forget you," I told her.

She smiled, taking my hand in her own but not moving from her position on the edge of the bed.

"Are you coming?" I laughed, tugging on her arm.

"I don't feel like walking. I think you might have to carry me," she said, looking up at me with her big brown eyes.

"If it means we get to leave, then sure," I agreed.

I released her hand and crouched down in front of her so that she could hop on my back. She wrapped her tiny arms around my neck and then gripped my waist with her legs, leaning forward so that her lips were hovering above my ear.

"Why do you want to leave so bad?" she asked, resting her chin on my shoulder as I stood, putting both my hands under her thighs to ensure that I had a good grip on her.

"I want a room to myself again," I answered.

"Who says you'll get it to yourself?" she whispered deviously, her voice cracking and causing my heart to flutter in my chest.

"How many times do I have to tell you to stop flirting with me before you finally listen?" I scoffed, rolling my eyes and pushing the front door open with my foot.

"I'm not flirting with you. It's just your perception," she countered. "You have a boyfriend, remember? I know better."

I froze at the word "boyfriend" and let go of her legs, allowing her to slide down off my back. The word stung like a jolt of electricity. It felt like pinpricks in my skin and tasted like blood in my mouth. The way she said it was so casual, but I could sense a hidden meaning behind it. It was too casual. Dull. Hurt.