Chapter 50

May, 2014

I didn't hear a single thing about Austin Mahone again after that night. Several weeks passed and we found ourselves easing into the month of May with little to no trouble. Camila and I didn't move back in together but there was something between us that wasn't there before- at least it hadn't been for a long time. It seemed like she finally appreciated my company again. She made it a point to sneak quietly into my room every morning and crawl into bed with me, waking me up with gentle kisses down my neck or on my forehead. Dinner dates became a regular occurrence and we spent more time together over those few weeks between the night at the park and the first of May than we had in months.

Of course, with ups there are always downs, but the last thing I expected was for Camila to barge into the studio the day we were to begin the recording process for our new album with a scowl on her face and an attitude more bitter than I had ever experienced. She walked through the door and threw her bag down, letting it slide across the floor and slam against the wall. The girls and I just watched her as she found a seat on the couch and buried her face in her hands, unsure of exactly what to say or even how to say it. Dinah cleared her throat and offered to make the first move, placing a supportive hand on Camila's back that she just shrugged away.

"Mila, what's wrong?" she asked quietly.

"Leave me alone," Camila snapped.

Dinah shrugged and leaned away from Camila, handing her turn over to someone else. I sat forward and reached over the coffee table to place a hand on her knee, but surprisingly enough she didn't try to push me away. She removed her face from her hands and looked up at me with tear-stained cheeks, forcing a smile that didn't actually seem all that forced.

"Camz, we're trying to help you. What's wrong?" I pressed.

"I hate boys," she groaned.

Oh God, not this again, I silently pleaded. Don't tell me she's after another guy again right when things are falling back together.

"What happened?" Normani questioned, shooting me a concerned look.

"Austin led me on," Camila sighed.

"Camz, I told you that," I reminded her.

"I know you did, but I asked him about it and he flat out admitted it," she said. "I told him I didn't want to see him again and he said it didn't matter. Who says that? Who pretends to care and then tells you it doesn't matter if they never see you again?"

"It's his loss," Ally shrugged.

"I didn't even like him," Camila admitted. "I thought I did but I didn't. I'm just tired of people pretending to care when they don't. Just once, I'd like for someone to come into my life and stay there, you know?"

She shook her head and pushed herself off the couch, slumping towards the front door.

"I need some fresh air before we start," she announced, pushing her way outside and letting the door slam back into place.

We all sat in silence and tried to formulate a response, but how could we respond to something so surprising? She hadn't spoken of Austin in nearly two weeks and all of a sudden he was causing her grief. I had never seen her so frustrated and I was worried, but what scared me the most was the explanation of her frustration. If she couldn't see by that point that I had no intention of ever leaving, I wasn't sure that I would ever be able to get it through to her.

"I'm going to go make sure she's okay," I informed the girls.

They all nodded and I followed Camila's path to the door, finding her kneeling down against the wall outside. I joined her on the ground and wrapped my arm around her shoulders, staring out at the city that buzzed by us and not saying a word. I didn't know what to say. I didn't even know where to begin, but I had to try.