Chapter 20

I sat comfortably in a lounge chair on the beach, watching the blue waves roll into shore as the Florida sun beat down on my skin. Lauren was to my left, soaking up the powerful rays while Taylor and Chris jumped through the water.

"It's pretty fucking hot for December," Lauren pointed out.

"We live in Florida, Lo," I reminded her.

It was New Year's Eve, just four hours before my family and I would be attending her family's annual cookout. It was a blast according to Lauren, fixed with burgers, live music, and a pool equipped with a diving board to keep cool. I wasn't exactly keen with spending time with a bunch of people I didn't know, but I was happy to spend the new year with Lauren, so I pushed my worries to the back of my mind and tried to concentrate on the tide as it inched closer and closer to our chairs.

"Are we going to kiss at midnight?" I asked her as she stood, taking off her shorts and laying them over her chair.

I admired her body through my sunglasses- her curves and toned muscles accented by her tight-fitting bikini.

"If we can sneak off without anyone noticing," she shrugged.

I rolled my eyes. "Why do we have to sneak off? That's all we've been doing since Christmas."

"Because- and correct me if I'm wrong- I think it would be a little obvious if we made out in front of both of our families," she explained. "Chris is already catching on."

"We don't have to make out. Just one quick kiss," I argued.

She hovered over my chair and extended her hand. I grabbed it and she pulled me up, turning around and looking over her shoulder to address me as she headed for the water. "We'll see."

...

"Camz, hurry up, there are already a bunch of people here," Lauren called through the bathroom door.

I assessed myself in the mirror as I put the finishing touches on my makeup, having gotten ready at Lauren's house to save time before the cook-out.

"I'll be out in a second," I promised.

I slipped on a pair of high-waisted denim shorts and a sleeveless button up blouse, tucking it into my waistband before stepping into my wedges and exiting the bathroom.

"You look nice as always," Lauren acknowledged, looking me up and down. "And you're almost as tall as me in those wedges."

She smiled and wrapped her arms around my waist, kissing me quickly before letting me go.

"You look...different," I observed.

She sported a pair of gray denim shorts and a black Rolling Stones tank top, fit with a beanie and a pair of old Chuck Taylor's. It wasn't like her usual jeans and a t-shirt. It was edgier. It was...

"Hot," I corrected. "You look hot."

"I just threw it together...I don't know," she blushed.

"It works for you," I smirked, raising one eyebrow and admiring the way her shorts accented her backside as she headed out the door.

She gripped my hand tightly and pulled me down the stairs until we reached the kitchen where our parents were preparing the last bit of food.

"Need any help?" Lauren asked as we passed them.

"No, go socialize," her mom dismissed. "I think a few of your friends are here to see you."

Lauren's face lit up upon hearing her mother's words and she sprinted out the door and onto the back patio, running smack into another girl and engulfing her in a tight hug, then doing the same to a guy. I slid the door shut behind me and waited while she caught up with her friends, standing up straighter and putting on my friendliest display when she turned around to introduce us.