A DATE?

Shannon's PoV

"Hey, Shannon" I hear as I take my seat in my English class.

"Hi, Danny" I force a smile his way, before turning my head down, gluing them to my desk to not get a glimpse of those brown eyes I can't get enough of.

"You seem down" he states as the English teacher starts the lesson, "are you okay?"

I keep my head down, "I'm fine" I answer in a low voice.

"You don't seem like it" he says in a low voice, since the teacher is speaking, "do you want to join me for lunch, maybe I can make you forget whatever is making you feeling down?"

"Sure" I answer, that's actually a perfect excuse to not eat with my friends, well Cari.

This can possibly make it easier for me to keep a distance from Cari, make me forget my feelings, maybe even get to know Danny. Maybe Danny actually can make me forget about all of this, forget about Cari and this whole gay-thing. Maybe Danny is the boy I have been waiting for, finally a boy I can fall in love with. I really hope so.

"Great!" he smiles happily, "what class do you have before lunch?"

"Advanced math" I tell him, with yet another forced smile, turning my head his way.

"I'll come and get you there, then" he smiles.

I nod, "okay."

"I can't wait" he continues with a smile covering his entire face, "you seem really cool!"

"Thanks" I try to put on a more happy-looking smile, "me neither."

He smiles brightly, before turning his attention to the teacher in front of the classroom, writing something on the board. While I drop my head back down again, gluing my eyes on my desk.

• • •

"Hey Shannon" Danny smiles at me when he sees me walking out of the classroom.

He walks over to me and wrap his arm around my waist, "Ready for lunch?"

"Yes, ready" I tell him, feeling uncomfortable under his touch, but I don't move away.

We walk over and find a small table for ourselves and sit down beside each other. He still has his arm around me. All I want to do is take it away, but I can't do that. I have to get to know this guy, I have to like him.

"I'll go and buy some pizza for us" he smiles and stands up, "just wait here, beautiful."

I nod in response and look away from him, my eyes locks with a pair of way too familiar brown ones. I quickly look away and pray for Danny to hurry up. I can feel her eyes on me, making me feel both tingly and uncomfortable at the same time. I look up and finally see Danny coming back with two plates of pizza.

"Here you go, pretty" he smiles and sits down beside me, way too close.

"Thank you" I smile and look down at the plate he put down in front of me.

"No problem" he says and kisses my cheek, "I like seeing you smile, so it was definitely worth it."

I am trying to tell myself I like feeling of his lips on my cheek, trying to convince myself that I like him this close to me, but fail. I continue trying, until I eventually starts trusting my own lies.

I bring the slice of pizza up to my lips and look up as I do so. My eyes quickly meet the brown ones again, but in them, all I can see is sadness. I see a tear roll down her cheek and I immediately look away from her.

I look over at the brown-haired boy beside me instead and take his hand in mine, trying to get comfortable with his touch. Danny smiles at me and moves a little closer to me, keeping our hands intertwined.