-29-

t h i r d   p e r s o n   p o

"what the actual fuck?" dan yelled, as he stuffed some clothes into a small suitcase provided for him. he didn't even bother to fold them, he was too mad. phil sat on the edge of the bed, staring out at the scenery which they hadn't even been given the chance to properly enjoy from their shared room yet. phil's bag is as already packed, a lot neater than dan's. strangely he was a lot calmer than his partner, mostly because he had more trust in his him and their relationship.

"dan..." he started, nearing him as he muttered something angrily under his breath. dan didn't listen, his mind whirling as he struggled with the conflicting emotions - anger, annoyance and sadness as he realised he had to be without phil's presence for three days.

"dan," phil said again, a little louder this time. his arm gently rested on dan's shoulder who was quick to tense up at the sudden touch.

"what is it phil?" dan replied, not looking at his partner but staring blankly at his clothes which were a mess in the case.

"it's only three days, we can do this, okay? relax," phil sighed, his voice patient as he watched dan's hands curl into a tight fist.

"how can you tell me to relax, phil? do you know what we are up against?" dan took a deep breath before shrugging phil's hand of his shoulder and walking towards the bed, sitting down and putting his head between his hands.

phil bit his lip, not sure how to reply. dan was stubborn and if he sees it one way it was hard to get him to change. it was hard enough getting him to wear something other than black. as calm as phil seemed, he felt they had struggled ever since they got here. maybe they weren't ready yet, maybe they needed more time to know each other as a couple. deciding not to go near dan at this point, he went to check the drawers in case he had left anything. pj was to come any moment to swap places with dan, one of the few changes that were made between the couples.

as phil opened the last drawer there was a ring. he looked at dan who rolled his eyes and stood up, propping up his suitcase ready to leave. phil rushes to the door, peeping through the hole to check it was them so they could say their last farewells.

"dan!" phil gasped as he looked through the hole. it wasn't pj, but marcus. "look who's here!" he opened the door, as excited as a little puppy eager to see their owner come back home. marcus smiles at the warm welcome, as phil embraced him with the hug that dan wouldn't give him at the moment.

"what are you doing here?" dan asked as phil closed the door behind him. marcus frowned, pacing as he looked around the room.

"i see he's treating you well..." he stated, ignoring the question.

"who, connor?" dan said through gritted teeth. "that jerk split us up, and you're saying-"

marcus rushed towards dan, placing his hand over dan's mouth. dan's eyes widened, nervous to do anything. phil looked over worriedly, confused at what is going on.

"don't say anything that will get you on the wrong side of the public okay?" marcus whispered. "they are filming everything, they will film everything. they followed me here, they're trying to get footage from outside from what they can hear in here. you need the public to vote for you."

"marcus don't you understand?" dan grunted, a little annoyed that marcus our his grimey hand on his face. "we don't want to be here."

marcus rolled his eyes, sighing in disappointment.

"you don't get it, do you? if you don't win each round you will be punished in some way. it's how the game works. it's how the game gets views. give the customers what they want, they vote for you and you won't have to suffer. easy."

dan frowned as he understood what marcus was saying. "so what do i do in this round then? i don't have phil with me."

"time's up!"

dan gasped as he heard connor's voice from outside the door, knocking loudly before barging in with the keycard he owned.

"i said ten minutes, marcus my friend. time to get out."

"you are not my friend, connor you know that." marcus replied, as he got ready to get out. connor smiled his innocent smile as he pulled marcus into a hug.

"aww marcus don't be like that, we were best friends once. don't you remember when-"

"i don't want to remember, connor okay? just... just leave them out of this okay?" marcus interrupted, pointing at dan and phil who watched with confused expressions on their faces.

"wait marcus! you haven't answered my question!" dan shouted as marcus walked out of the door.

"just..." marcus stopped for a moment before leaving, "just don't say anything that you wouldn't normally say." he sighed as he walked out and the door shut.

connor smiled at the boys, phil smiling nervously back and dan glaring at him like he was about to commit murder. "so boys, are you ready for the switch?"

"what do you have on marcus, connor?" dan asked, moving a little closer to the host who didn't flinch. his smile faded, the first time either of them had seen the bright host without his smile.

"oh he didn't tell you?" connor looked dan dead in the eyes, "you want to know?... tough because it's not that easy to get something out of me." he walked towards the door, his hand ready to pull the handle to let himself out. after a few seconds his head turned. "you'll find out in due time." and he exited.

"ugh i hate that bast-"

the doorbell rung before dan could finish his sentence. slowly, he rushed to the door, hearing some rustling sounds. the view through the peep hole was covered but through the thin walls he could hear what was going outside.

"you know what to do, ready? lights, ready, and action!" connor's voice rung from outside the corridor and the doorbell rung again.

"hey guys? it's pj."

hope you all had a great  (if you celebrate), and you all got what you wanted. bring on 2018! x