-7-

"why don't we go together then?" dan asked. the smile he had on his face was gone, but phil greatly appreciated the gesture. he looked down at his feet. he felt embarrassed and pathetic for not being able to go to his first lecture.

"come on, you can't miss it," dan said, rolling his eyes. "What's the point in you being here then?"

because i wanted to get to know you. he thought. 

 phil look a deep breath and gave in, nodding.

"okay," he said, zipped up his backpack and followed dan out of the door. dan had black headphones around his neck, politely not listening to music as he walked with him, even though he did not do much talking. phil noticed that they weren't even plugged into anything.

"thanks for forcing me out," phil said, wanting to break the tension. he wasn't going to forget that dan was still his friend, even if dan didn't always act like it. dan shrugged his shoulders, and phil clenched his fists.

'why can't he ever be appreciative?' phil thought but let it go. because they had arrived at the lecture hall.

"what room do you have for your first lecture?" dan asked. they were standing in one big hall, with doors all over the place. each door inside had a different lecture ready to take place. the big hall was bustling with people, and it was too loud for phil. phil concentrated on dan's words, trying to zone it out and said, "12c" he said.

dan nodded, walking as did he knew his way around. phil noticed that he was late, for his first lecture. he was tempted to not go in, to avoid the glares he will get from the people already in the hall.

"Come on then," dan said and walked in, phil quickly following him to the back of the room where everyone looked over to them. the punk and the pastel kid. late.

the lecturer took no notice. if they were going to miss any of the lecture it's not her problem. dan was mostly on the phone the whole time, not really caring too much. as the lecture finished, dan was one of the first to stand up and leave. he didn't realise phil was right behind him.

"i didn't know you had the same lecture as me," phil said, walking a little faster to keep up with dan's pace. it wasn't too hard, since dan was only slightly taller than him.

"a lawyer needs English, doesn't he?" dan mumbled.

"but you didn't even listen, or take notes,"

"i don't have to, not now," dan said, and took out a device from his pocket. "i recorded it,"

phil's eyes looked up in shock, or surprise, dan couldn't tell but dan didn't care. dan started to walk away when he realised phil was still walking with him.

"hey dan?" phil said, catching up with him. one thing they did have in common was their ridiculous talk height. dan looked at him, waiting.

"we haven't gone for a meal in a while. do you want to join me for lunch?"

dan looked at him awkwardly. he was surprised at how confident he was in asking, even with the way he had been treating him recently.

"sure phil," dan gave a faint smile, his hands finding his way into his pockets, not know what else to do. remembering his reputation, he continued, "but i choose the place this time,"

dan saw phil's face lit up when he agreed to go for lunch and dan couldn't help but smile even bigger. he wanted to smack himself in the back of the head.

what am i doing? why can i never say no to this kid?'

dan refused to think why, not wanting to feel ashamed and started to walk faster, to the place they were going to eat.