9: I Can't Save You

I opened up my eyes and stared at the ceiling. It has been a month since  Rikako hugged me that night and she still hasn't told me what was wrong. I was beginning to get worried since I can see the conflict in her eyes, but I trusted that she would tell me when she was ready.
              I really am curious though. What was going on in the goddess's mind? I sat up and searched for my phone. It rested on the desk, fully charged. I grabbed the device and checked all of my apps. Lastly, I checked my Facebook app and scrolled through the Love Live groups I was in. One picture, however, brought tears to my eyes.
Congratulations Rikyako!!! I'm so happy for you! I hope he makes you happy! ❤️❤️❤️
                "She's getting married, yet she didn't tell me," I mumbled to myself as I felt my heart shattering into pieces. "She is reaching that age. It only makes sense right?"
I walked to the couch and just laid there. I didn't want to move. I felt stupid for thinking that things would ever work between us. She probably doesn't like girls after all. What was I hoping for?
Suddenly, I got a call on my phone. I wiped away my tears and cleared my throat before picking up the phone.
"Hello?" I talked into the phone.
"It's me, Dai. I'm sure you heard about Rikyako's engagement."
               "Yeah...I did."
              "Well, are you gonna do anything about it? You're close with her aren't you? Don't you love her like I do?" He asked with an annoyed tone of voice.
               "What can I do? I just need to be happy for her. I'm not going to ruin her engagement..."
                "What's wrong with you?! You're so weak! No wonder she doesn't like you!" He boomed.
               "Well, what should I do?!" I yelled back. "She's getting married! She's in love with someone else! She's straight for all I know!"
                 "This is why I can't stand you! Why don't you climb out of the hole you live in and talk to her?!" He hung up the phone.
                I sighed and thought about it for a while. After a while, I eventually found the courage to call her. After a few rings, she picked up.
               "Hey, Rikako!" I forced myself to sound happy. "I heard about your engagement."
               "Hello, Y/n. I'm sorry for not telling you. I couldn't find the right time to say it."
               "It's fine! I'm happy for you! When's the wedding?" I held in my tears.
"It's actually next week...on Sunday..." She answered.
"Eh?! So soon?!"
"Yes. My fiancé wanted to get married as soon as possible and my mother agreed that we should."
I looked at my calendar to see if I had anything planned for that day,"Got room for one more guest?"
She sounded a little shocked to hear me say that,"Um...if you're not busy, that would be great!"
"Cool! I'll see you then!" I exclaimed.
I hung up the phone and just laid there on the couch. I didn't know what to do, so I decided to just go shopping for an outfit for the wedding.
––––––––
At the mall, I browsed through all the stores. Nothing seemed to be good enough for the wedding. I wanted it to be perfect, even though it was for the day when the woman I love the most gets married.
              I looked at all the options there were, until I saw the perfect outfit. It was a (f/c) (D or T) that would look great for the wedding. I tried it on and then paid for it. Afterwards, I left the mall and drove back to my apartment. Leaving my clothes on the couch, I jumped into my chair and checked the news on Rikako's fiancé.
                 "(R/n)...a rich businessman. He's young, handsome, and rich. How am I supposed to compete against him?" I mumbled to myself.
                I sighed and spun my chair around. I stopped the chair and groaned in frustration. I considered taking Dai's advice and take action, but I didn't want Rikako to hate me.
I turned on the TV and I watched some random show. Before I knew it, I was sound asleep on my chair.
––––––––
I opened my eyes and realized that it was already six o'clock. I turned off the TV that was left on and stretched. It was Sunday and the wedding was next week. I'm still trying to process how fast this is all happening. I decided to call my aunt and ask for advice.
               "Hello?"
                "Aunt...Rikako is getting married..." I started.
                "Then crash her wedding?" She replied as if the answer was obvious.
                "First of all, no. Second of all, I can't necessarily crash something that I'm already invited to."
                "Well, obviously you gotta be cliche and say that you object when the priest asks if anyone has any objections," She suggested.
               "You're not helping..."
               "Why did you even call me in the first place then?" She asked.
                 "As an adult, I thought you might've been more useful..."
                 "I am being useful!"
                 "Ugh...never mind..."
                 "But this is your chance to tell her how you feel. Maybe you might get her to change her mind about marrying the guy."
                 I took a moment to consider her suggestion,"I think you're right...This is my chance to tell her. What if she rejects me?"
                 A laugh was heard from the other end of the line,"Remember the pictures you sent me? I've seen the way she looks at you. You can't tell me that she doesn't feel the same. Also, based on what you've told me, evidence that she likes you is everywhere."
Rikako? Liking me?
               I blushed a bright red,"I hope so."
               "Go get her. I need to go, but I'll be waiting for results."
                "Thank you, Aunt..."
              "Anytime, good luck! Don't let this ship of mine sink!"
               "Au-"
               The line went dead.
She hung up
                I sighed and rolled around. I looked for my Riko nesoberi and hugged her.
                 "Do you think she feels the same?"
So this is heartache?