Chapter 68

Niall's POV

Someone was playing the drums on my head – on every part of my body really; the pounding was reverberating throughout all my nerves. For fear of the world spinning, I didn't want to open my eyes, so relied on all my other senses to gather my surroundings. I was lying in a very warm and comfortable bed. One that smelt of vanilla and mint – Amy's bed then. The sun was shining through my eyelids, the dull orange glow telling me that it was likely early morning. My body felt stiff and I gingerly lifted a hand to the padding on my side. Everything still seemed intact. Last night was very hazy, but from what I recall, Amy had done a brilliant job.

I slowly parted my eyelids, the white ceiling of the room sliding into focus, before a beautiful head blocked the way. Smiling up into her eyes was my favourite past time. 'Hi.' I grinned, sleep still coating my voice.

She frowned slightly. 'Hi yourself. How are you feeling?' Concern was radiating off her in stifling waves.

'Good as can be I think.' I tried to sit up. Amy saw me wince and quickly assisted with lifting my torso up and sliding me back. She placed another pillow behind me and fussed for a second, ensuring I was comfy.

'Here.' She said, passing me two pain killers. 'Drink this too.' The glass was orange and filled with what I presumed was Berroca or Gatorade. I did as I was instructed and gulped down both the tablets and drink quickly. Amy didn't speak until the glass was empty.

Placing it on the nightstand, I watched her closely. 'Are you okay? Last night can't have been easy for you.'

She sighed, shaking her head. 'Your ability to care about people never ceases to amaze me. You're the one who was stabbed and nearly bled to death last night, yet you're worried about me.'

'I always worry about you.' I hesitated, holding my tongue on my next sentence. Glancing down I saw that the pad looked like it had been replaced. She really had taken care of me all night. I took a breath. 'It's what you do when you love someone.'

I felt her jolt slightly next to me before standing up. 'I'll get you another drink.' She mumbled as she left the room.

My head flopped back against the head board. I didn't know what to do. I had been hoping that after she kissed me last night, that we could get back on track. I didn't remember anything after that though, for all I know, I vomited on her and that's why she can't look me in the eye. A phone pinged next to me and I recognised it as mine. Unlocking it, I discovered a million missed calls and texts. Mainly from Harry but a few from the school. I glanced at the time on my phone. 10:47am. Shit.

Padded footsteps sounded up the stairs and were followed seconds later by Amy with another glass of energy drink. She smiled slightly, placing it down next to me.

'Your phones been going off all morning. Harry finally came banging by at about eight-thirty, scared the crap out of Jenny when she answered the door. Luckily, I got to him before Jamie and I managed to calm him down. I told him you were upstairs, but that Mum and Jamie had no idea you were here. I don't know how I managed to fool them. I cleaned everything up the best I could, but there's defiantly a reddish tinge to the wallpaper in the hallway.' I grimaced at her words.

'Sorry you had to deal with the clean up as well.'

She shrugged. 'It's a lot better than dealing with questions from Mum.'

I nodded. 'Is Harry coming by again or do I need to call him?'

'I told him to come by this afternoon, but if you want to let him know he can come now, Mum just left. You may want to call the school first though. I ignored those calls. Not sure it would do either of us any good if I answered your phone, or called in sick for you.'