Chapter 11

We sprang apart; matching looks of horror and guilt, etched on our faces. A deadly silence filled the room. The only thing I could hear was my heavy breathing mixed with Niall’s increasingly loud pants. Shit! I thought. We had been caught red handed; we were done for!

”…Sorry I didn’t knock Niall. I had my hands full. I could barely see a thing when carrying that box. I'm surprised I even got the right room!” said Miss Mathews, giggling delicately. Relief washed over me as I put two and two together.  My eyes found the large box of what looked like costumes and props, resting innocently by the door.

 She had obviously carried it in. 

She couldn’t see where she was going.

She must have backed into the room.

She didn’t see Niall and I.

We aren’t screwed at all.

I love Miss Mathews; she is my new favourite teacher… Well second favourite. I happen to have a soft spot for my blonde, Irish Drama teacher standing to my left.

No wonder she was so calm when she entered the room. Even though there was a decrease in the danger of the situation, I was still on edge. I wish I could be Miss Mathews right now; completely unaware of what was going on, so calm and collected.

I saw Niall’s features change as he too worked everything out and started to relax. However, instead of keeping quiet like me, he stood up, cleared his throat and snapped into teacher mode. Goodbye Niall, hello Mr Horan.

“Oh that’s quite alright Melody.” He flashed a charming smile and she blushed. I felt myself tense. “I’m so thankful you could take some time to assist with updating the costumes and props within the Drama department.” She was starting at him so intently; I'm surprised she wasn’t drooling. Honestly woman, have some dignity.

“Oh that’s quite alright Niall, I'm always happy to help a good friend.” She smiled back and giggled. He chuckled slightly and I shot him a glare. Luckily Miss Mathews had stepped in between us, so she didn’t see my childish gesture. He gave me a firm look as if to say, behave or we will get caught.

Big whoop! I would rather be arrested and have everyone find out about us than listen to Miss Perfect Teacher over there giggle like an idiot every time my boyfriend does so much as look at her!

Wow I really didn’t know how jealous I could be.  I looked at Niall again and caught his gaze, but before I could send him a pleading look he looked back to Miss Mathews.

“I'm not the textiles teacher for nothing Niall!” They both laughed; a sound that tugged against my heart.

‘No I guess not…” Smiled Niall, at least he didn’t laugh this time. They continued to talk about how wonderful the costumes will be when finished and I started to grow impatient. I rudely cleared my throat to remind them of my presence.

I was shocked. Niall looked like he’d completely forgotten about me and the look Miss Mathews sent my way was enough to freeze the thirty degree heat outside.

“Yes Miss Bradley?” She asked sharply. Wow, ok I take it back, definitely not one of my favourite teachers at all! When I didn’t reply she continued, “If you would like to run along, I need to have a private conversation with Mr Horan here.”

That does it. I started to angrily open my moth to fire back and tell her she should be the one running along, or maybe running for her life, when I was interrupted.

“Anyway!” Said Niall loudly and firmly; shooting me a look that said shut up before you say something you’ll regret.  “Thank you for staying back Amy, I'm happy to help whenever you need, you only have to ask.” He smiled at me and went to open the door.