By Chance: For Meghan

This was requested by @notomatosmendes I hope you like it! <3

*Meghan's POV*

"We're going to see Shawn Mendes!" my four year old daughter, Skylar, giggled, skipping by my side as we walked together towards the arena.

It was hard being a single mom, but I tried to take Skylar to a concert at least once a year. And most times it was my favorite singer, Shawn, who I had raised Skylar around. Even though she was really young, she pretty much adored him.

"Yeah, we're finally here, Sky," I gestured towards the arena we were walking up besides.

Skylar's blue eyes suddenly went huge, "Mommy, is that Shawn?"

I looked to where she was pointing and sure enough, there was Shawn surrounded by a group of fans.

Before I could stop her, Skylar ran off towards him. "Wait, Skylar!" I called and ran as fast as I could after her.

I couldn't see her anymore and I made my way through the many fans while freaking out a little that I had lost Skylar.

However, when I reached the center of the crowd, there she was looking up at Shawn who had kneeled down to her height.

"Are you sure you know where your mom is?" I heard him say in a concerned tone.

"Yes," Skylar looked up and pointed to me, "She's right there."

Shawn's brown eyes met mine and he stood up. "Hi I'm Shawn, but I'm sure you already know that," he said, sticking out his hand. 

I took it, "Yeah, I'm Meghan."

"She's cute," he smiled down at my daughter.

"That's Skylar for you."

He kneeled down to meet her gaze again, "A pretty name for a pretty little girl."

"Can you be my daddy?" Skylar asked completely out of the blue.

"Oh no, Skylar, don't..." I trailed off, getting kind of embarrassed.

"I don't think your daddy would like that," Shawn said without sounding uncomfortable like I expected.

"But I don't have a daddy," she made known.

"Oh..." he looked up at me and stood up, "Would you like to come backstage with me? I'd love to get to know you better." Was he really inviting us backstage?! 

"Absolutely!" I cheered and we followed him in the building and backstage. There were quite a few stage workers running around as Shawn led us to his dressing room.

"Go ahead and make yourself at home," Shawn said. He had a way of making people feel really comfortable around him even though we had never met before.

"Here Skylar," he picked up a guitar and brought it over to where she sat, "You can play with this if you want to."

"Shawn, what if she breaks it," I worried.

"Don't worry, it's really cheap."

Skylar took it happily and started to strum the strings lightly.

"Thank you so much for this, Shawn. You're so sweet," I sat down next to him and our knees touched, "I don't know how I can repay you."

Shawn looked down and then up at me, "Could we maybe go out somewhere or get together after this?"

"Do you mean like a date?"

"I - I mean you don't have to," he stuttered, "But...if you're okay with it..."

"Of course I will," I reached for his hand and he grinned. We exchanged numbers before it was almost time for the show to start.

"I'll see you later. Enjoy the show. Bye Skylar!" Shawn waved and we were escorted to our seats.

*4 years later*

"I can't believe it's been a year," Shawn expressed, "A whole year since I got married to the most beautiful girl I've ever met."

"And it's also Christmas," I replied, adjusting my position in his arms.

The lit up Christmas tree stood in the corner of the living room with Skylar (now eight) next to it. She sat on the floor playing with the toys she got. Everyone had already opened their presents and it was that time of the holiday when everyone was happy.

"Hey, I'll be back in a second," Shawn stood up, "I just need to get something."

He came back a couple of minutes later and his hands were behind his back obviously hiding something.

"Skylar, babygirl, can you come over here?" he sat on the couch next to me, "I have one more present for both of you."

"What is it? What is it?" Skylar jumped up and down excitedly. My mind was filled with just as much anticipation and wonder.

"Here it is," Shawn pulled out some papers and unfolded them, "They're adoption papers. You know what that means, Skylar? It means that I'm finally really you're dad."

My hand had flown to my face and I gasped.

Skylar stood there wide eyed before jumping into Shawn's arms, "I love you, Daddy."

Shawn held her tight against his chest and kissed her on the cheek, tears in his eyes, "I love you too, sweetie."

He hugged me as well and I couldn't stop smiling, "Thank you so much, Shawn. For everything."

Shawn took a selfie with Skylar and I and posted it on Instagram with the caption: "Insanely happy to announce that Skylar is officially my daughter😁 The best way to celebrate our anniversary and Christmas. Love you two to pieces😙❤"

We were finally together as a true family and Shawn beamed, "Merry Christmas and happy anniversary darlings."

--------------

A/n: Really hope you liked this!! Finally wrote a long one again and it feels really good😊