Kixi; Runner

I dipped my bucket into the well and felt the cool water slosh over my hands, chilling to the touch. I shivered involuntarily as the icy liquid seemed frozen my touch. Pulling up the filled bucket, I heaved it over my shoulders as I prepared to take off.

"Kixi!" Wait up!" Aze was panting to keep up with me. He reached out to grab my shoulder, causing my thin white T-shirt to slip over my bare shoulder.

"What is it?" I snapped impatiently, shifting my weight from foot to foot, itching to take off.

"Listen," I started, "I have a huge rain cloud drifting over North America."

"Yes, yes," he muttered. "I just needed to give this to you."

He proffered a silver bracelet and I stared at it, wide-eyed.

"Aze, what is this Pass for?"

Us Sky Runners stuck to formulating clouds and creating the weather. However, those with special privileges are given silver bands. These signify those individuals of the ability to walk through the Pass. In the Pass, weather patters are formed and instructions are given to the Runners.

He smiled sadly, "We have a problem, Kixi."

He led my up a flight of stairs and flashed the silver bracelet at the door. The rays of sun reflected against the metal and into the lock. The silver door swung open smoothly.

He knelt on ground as I followed suit, in awe as I gazed around the room.

There were monitors, and screens stacked on screens with equipment tracking the many weather changes. The roof-no the sky was dabbled many colors. From metallica cerulean to deep hues of crimson.

"Welcome Kixi." The figure in the center of the room called my name softly and I turned my head upwards.

"You have been selected as the few who guard the Pass. My name is Seri."

"T-Thank you," I stuttered, still at a loss as to why I had been accepted into the coven of Passers now.

"You see. It was said that you, Kixi, are the fastest Sky Runner in the Sky."

I flushed and shook my head, "'Course not, sir."

He chuckled, his dark navy hair collected around him, his beryl eyes sparkling.

"Come now, it isn't the time for modesty, my dear."

"Well..." I muttered, "I'm decently fast."

"Then that is enough," he murmured, turning towards Aze.

"Debrief her."

"Remember the Fighters on the Duca bridge?" he asked quietly.

I nodded.

One day, as I was hurtling along the Duca bridge with sun-rays, a group of Fighters-or rebels-had jumped in my path. Their Sky Runner eyes had been tinged with green and they swayed on their feet. As one of them swung my fist, I had blocked with one arm. Where their skin met mine was burning pain. It was as though their skin had soaked up the rays of the sun and were harnessing them as skin. It was pain beyond pain. I watched helpless as they grabbed the sun rays and soaked up the heat before dissipating the rays. It was horrifying to see the relaxed expression on their face as they took it in. Like a drug.

"I remember."

"Good."

"Is there a reason for this?" I asked, "I mean-you were the one who told me to forget about them."

"True," Aze nodded, "But the situation has grown our of control."

"They are called Dioxides. Carbon Dioxides," the blue haired Passer chimed in.

"They're addicted to soaking up sun rays, it makes them sick and warps their minds. It causes them to do through extreme lengths to trap sunlight in the Sky and use it to make them "happy." A growing epidemic."

I stared at both of them, shocked.

"So... you want me to apprehend them?" I muttered, a little apprehensive.

"Wrong!" Aze cried, "what good would speed do against strength?"

"If we don't stop them soon, they'll spread. Its an extremely time sensitive case."

"There is a cure." Seri said gravely, "and we need it fast."

I nodded enthusiastically; if it was something needed, I would be able to attain it faster than anyone else.

"I'll get it for you!"

"Great!" Aze smiled, "Thanks so much Kixi!"

"No problem!" I looked at Aze, "Where is it?"

"Earth."

"Sure, no problem! I'll just-Wait. What?"