Lyrics

I will never let you fall

I'll stand up for you forever

I'll be there for you through it all.

The lyrics rang through my head, echoing through the deepest caverns of my mind. My heart constricted as each phrase gripped me like a vice.

I wish I had someone to sing that to me, I thought to myself. I laughed bitterly at my naivety, like anyone would ever love you.

I was sitting on my roof, my knees tucked under my chin as I rocked back and forth. My fingers were clasped together against my shins, letting one hand go, I let my fingers run across the grainy red bricks. Leaning my head back I gazed at the stars above. They were twinkling merrily like brilliant eyes gazing down at me.

Season are changing and waves are crashing

And stars are falling all for us

I watched with bated breath as a star shot across the sky. Were it's flurry of light trailed, the night sky lit up like a light show. I closed my eyes and wished. I wished as hard as I could, as thought through sheer force of will I could force my absurd wish into reality. Before I knew it, tears had collected at the edges of my eyes. Wiping them away angrily, I took a calming breath. I looked to the side of me, a quaint white house peeking through breaks in the trees separating us. Kiko was my neighbor, he has been since he moved here in a battered Suburban 12 years ago. He was my first friend; I still remember playing together in the sandbox as our mothers gossiped idly. I even remember stupid things, like the first time we held hands-not that it mattered, we were only 3. He was always by my side, but lately it felt like he was slipping away. As he hung out with Naomi, I was only reaching him through the cracks in the wall. My Kiko was slipping away and I feared that soon, he would be gone forever.

I can show you

I'll be the one