62 | B A T T L E S C A R S

•••
I cry       
when angels deserve
       to die.
•••

   Lynnea tried to shake him off, but her ribs were constantly sending hot waves of pain through her body, leaving her paralyzed. Through tears in her eyes she could see his smirk; he enjoyed her struggling.

   Without a warning Greyback burried his teeth in the right side of Lynnea's throat and she couldn't do a thing but scream while the pain in her body exploded. Like his fangs were poisonous, she could feel a torrid burning spread out from the part he was ripping her skin open.

   "Lynnea! No!"

   A red flash of light hit Greyback and he was wrenched off her body, but his sharp teeth tore a part of her flesh with him. Hot blood spilled on the floor like cascades, she pressed her hand onto the wound in panic, the warm thick liquid floated through her fingers.

   "Lynnie!" Fred Weasley fell on his knees beside his girl, pressing his hand on hers, trying to help her stop the blood escaping her throat.

   "Fred, take her and run!", she could hear Bill yell. Her eyes twitched over to him; he was busy blocking the curses Greyback was now sending at him.

   Fred tugged his hands under Lynnea's body and lifted her up, she screamed in pain and closed her eyes, as she felt she was about to throw up, feeling herself getting tired and weaker.

   "Stay with me, Lynn, okay?", Fred said and she could hear the anxiety in his voice, but it seems like he was talking through a tunnel to her.

   "I always will", she muttered, shocked by the low sound of her own weak voice. Fred seemed not to be less frightened, because he immediately started to run.

    They arrived the corridor where the hospital wing lay. She saw the entrance in a blurry view. But then Lynnea could feel her hand slipp off her throat and her visions getting darker. She heard her name being called, but was unable to answer, before the blackness gulped her into its abyss.

•••

    "Can't you fix them with a charm or something?"

   "No charm will work on these. I've tried everything I know, but there is no cure for werewolf bites."

   "But they weren't bitten at the full moon," Lynnea recognised Ron's voice. "Greyback hadn't transformed, so surely Bill and Lynnea won't be a- a real -?"

   Greyback. Something tingled in her mind.

   "No, I don't think that Bill and Lynnea will be true werewolves, but that does not mean that there won't be some contamination. Those are cursed wounds. They are unlikely ever to heal fully, and - and the two might have some wolfish characteristics from now on." Remus words dropped slowly into Lynnea's ears, but her brain seemed unable to deal with the information.

   "Dumbledore might know something that'd work, though", Ron said. "Where is he? Bill fought those maniacs on Dumbledore's orders, Dumbledore owes him, he can't leave him in this state -"

   "Ron - Dumbledore's dead", said Ginny. Lynnea felt a pressure on her right hand, like someone was holding it.

   Dumbledore's dead.

   What did Ginny just say? That couldn't be true ... She flung my eyes open.

   "Lynnie ..." Her eyes locked with Fred's. She was unable to move her neck. As she tried to raise her hand to to touch her throat, she couldn't move either. She couldn't move a damn muscle besides her eyes, which were widening.

   "It's okay, Lynnie, you'll soon be able to move again", Fred whispered, stroking her hair back.

   A pale faced Remus came into sight. He weakly smiled down at his goddaughter. "Madame Pomfrey gave you a potion to help your wounds and bones heal quicker", he said. "You moved a lot, so she had to petrify you. Your thorax was completely smashed, we feared you could damage your inner organs. The spell will fade away, as soon as your rips are fully healed."

   And what about my neck?, she wanted to ask, but she couldn't. Instead her eyes filled with tears.

   "It'll leave a scar", she heard Harry say, before he stepped at his sister's bed. "Just another one, no big deal." He smiled sadly.

   "Don't be afraid, you won't be a werewolf", Remus said in a low voice. She let her eyes twitch in Bill's direction. Remus shook his head. "He won't either. You two will be completely fine in a few days, it's just the scars and maybe a strange desire for raw meat every now and then."

   "I'm putting you back in a dreamless sleep now, so you'll recover much faster." Madame Pomfrey came around, holding a small potion in her hand. Lynnea wanted to protest, but all she could do was tearing her eyes wide open. Madame Pomfrey opened easily her lips and poured the liquid down her throat. It took a few seconds, she whimpered silently, before she drifted back into blackness.

•••

   "I need to talk to you, Fred", Harry said, watching Fred stroking Lynnea's hair, his eyes never leaving her pale face once, since she fell back asleep. She looked frightening, her skin almost transparent and there was a thick bandage wrapped around her throat. But now Fred looked at Harry with an cocked eyebrow. He slowly got up and followed the boy outside. His twin took his seat next to Harry's sister.

   "What's wrong?", he asked, staring back at the door of the hospital wing.

   "I'm not even allowed to tell you this, but I have to, so please keep it secret", Harry said in a low voice and his eyes snapped back on me, he nodded. "I won't return to Hogwarts. And I guess, Lynnea wouldn't be able to do either. I have to leave, Dumbledore gave me a mission. If Lynn will ever find out, she wouldn't let me go, or worse, she would want to accompany me."

   "And you don't want that", Fred said.

   "I guess neither do you", Harry replied. "It will be dangerous and it would be much easier for me to know her safe. So take her with you. Take her to the Burrow, she will think, I'll join you lots somewhen during the summer, and I want her to believe in that. When I'm gone, it'll be too late for her to follow."

   "She'll be pretty pissed", Fred said with a joyless chuckle. "But of course I'll do."

   "I know she'll be. But better pissed, than caught by the Death Eaters, or maybe killed. Even though they didn't want her dead, Greyback almost killed her."

   "I'll make sure no one of these prats will get close to her", Fred muttered, his face wore a look of grim creed.

   Mrs. Weasley and Fleur appeared in the corridor, pale faced and panting.

"Better get inside again", Fred said and the two boys headed back into the hospital wing.