23 | F R I E N D

•••
if you're testing my waters,
you better know how to swim.
•••

"Mr Potter, I am well aware that you're unable to even produce the simplest potion, but that doesn't allow you to distract my more talented students like Miss Bailey", Professor Snape hissed in his usual dangerously quiet voice. That was when Harry finally gave up. Lynnea for weeks now tried to keep him on distance, but Harry, Ron and Hermione didn't gave up that easily. Lynnea just couldn't bear it anymore to always be around her brother, without him having the fuzziest who she was.

Also she decided to never talk to Fred again. He tried; he tried a lot, but Adrian and Mitchell became some kind of bodyguards to her, keeping the twins away from her. She would have loved to talk to George, but in result it was easier to avoid both of them. Everytime Fred tried to come close to her, Adrian and Mitchell appeared out of nowhere, and he turned away with hanging shoulders.

But to keep Aiden away it took more, mostly because she couldn't tell anyone why she was so angry with him. He apologized by any given chance, but Lynnea wasn't able to forgive him, even if she wanted. The problem was, that she really enjoyed spending time with Adrian and Mitchell, but Aiden was always around, as the boys were his best friends.

"Why wouldn't you tell us what happened to you and Aiden?", Tracey asked about the hundredths time. "It has something to do with that date, hasn't it? Was it that bad? Did he try something you didn't want to do?"

"What? Gosh, Tracey, no!" Lynnea couldn't surpress a laughter, although she was completely annoyed about her two friends always asking the shit out of her. "It just didn't work, okay?"

"Won't believe this", Daphne said. "But okay, if you're tired of this talk, let's start an even more interesting." She made a meaningful pause, in which Lynnea silently sighed, asking herself what was coming up next. "What will you do with the weasel?"

"I - nothing!", Lynnea stammered. "Why should I?"

"The two of you kissed", Tracy retorted. "We told you the git likes you. And I'm pretty sure, you have a thing for him, too."

"Not the tiniest. He can go to hell, I wouldn't care. Well, maybe I would wave at him on his way down."

Daphne and Tracey just shook their heads quietly. But of course the silence didn't last all too long.

"You know ... I think he really isn't that bad", Daphne said the moment Fred entered the Great Hall. "Look, he's pretty handsome."

Lynnea snorted. "Of course this excuses everything. I should marry him and get some handsome babies with him."

"It's of course not just that", Daphne scoffed. "See, after all the time you rejected him, he never really gave up coming back at you, did he?"

"That's really cute", Lynnea whispered sarcastically, ignoring the knot in her throat. "But also he cheated on his girlfriend and he -"

"Might has done so because he was confused about his feelings?", Tracey chimed in.

"What are you, psychologists?", Lynnea snapped, throwing her fork and knife on her plate. "It doesn't matter if he's confused or an arse or whatever the hell of a saint you want him to be, because I don't care!" She got on her feet, her voice growing louder. "I don't like him. I don't like Fred Weasley! Geddit?" And without awaiting an answer, she stomped away.

•••

"Still busy with homework?"

Lynnea had found shelter and peace in the library, where she was writing the essay for Snape, when Draco sat down opposite to her at the table. She didn't look up.

"How come you're never busy doing anything at all?", Lynnea said, finishing her last sentence, her eyes now flickering at the blonde boy's face.

"Time management, lady", he said with a smirk. "Your weasle is watching you." Lynnea's head jerked up. "He's two shelves away. You won't see him from here. Pretending to learn, while he's busy lurking around the corner. What do you even see in that creepy bastard?"

"I see nothing in him", Lynnea hissed.

"Well, wanna at least give him something worth watching?", he asked, wiggling his eyebrows, as he took Lynnea's hand. She threw him a curious look. "Just play along. I exactly know his blood is already boiling right now."

"Where's the sense in that?"

"Would love to see his head explode." Lynnea rolled her eyes, and he talked on: "I do you a favour, you'll see. He'll be jealous."

"I don't need to make him jealous -"

"Oh Bailey, please! You like that dimwit. And he likes you. I know it, everyone in this goddamn castle knows. Even a flubberworm brained bitch like Johnson noticed. The only ones being dumb enough to not notice each others feelings are you and Weaslebee." Now it was his turn to roll eyes. "Don't even try to lie to me", he whispered, leaning closer, so their faces were merely inches apart. "See, as much as I despise the bloodtraitor, you're not yourself without that git being around. And believe me, it takes a lot to help you making him notice that you're a diamond in a field of pebbles. It hurts, Bailey! But this mood of yours lately is disgusting."

"Why do you even care?", Lynnea whispered back at him.

"Well, you're like the one thing in this sad excuse of a school here that doesn't suck", he said and shrugged.

Lynnea blinked at him, before the corners of her mouth started twitching. "Oh, you're a softie, Draco, I didn't know about that!" She laughed and ruffled his hair. His eyes immediately narrowed.

"Be grateful I like your dumb face, Bailey, else I'd jinx the shit out of you", he hissed, only causing Lynnea to laugh louder.

"Don't worry, I'll keep your secret", she replied with a smirk. "But don't let Pansy hear about this, she'd kill me."

"Whatever. Let's leave here, guess your weasle is already losing it." He got up and walked around the table, stretching out his hand for her to take, and so she did with a wide smile.

Before they left the library she couldn't resist to turn around for a last glare, just to see if Fred was watching, but instead she looked straight into Pansy Parkinson's face, hate written all over it, her eyes narrowed, and Lynnea knew she was doomed.