40 | C H O I C E

•••
I'm waking up, I cannot see
that there's not much left of me.
•••

   He didn't come to fetch his stuff. Harry had arrived by now, sharing the room with Lynnea, and she was grateful to not have to face those long nights alone anymore. Professor Dumbledore had taken Harry to an old professor, Horace Slughorn, to persuade him to return to Hogwarts, probably to take the place as the Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher.

   The morning she woke up after Harry's arrival she was alone. That was when her eyes first fell on an odd box in one of the shelves next to the window; a small wooden box. She walked over to it, like in trance opened it and stared down at her own two eyes. It was a photograph. A picture showing her sitting on Fred's back, both smiling happily. she took it in her shaking fingers, underneath it there were even more photograph's, one showed the both of them at Grimmauld Place in front of the Christmas tree, Fred was laughing at her, while Lynnea gave him the finger. Also there was other stuff, like a bracelet Lynnea gave Fred to his birthday, and a small rotten flower she had worn in her hair one of the first warm days of spring down by the Black Lake at Hogwarts, just days before Fred and George had left the school. Rotten and forgotten, just like their love. She weakly stumbled backwards, sinking down on the bed.

   "I guess that's private", a familiar voice whispered right behind her from out the doorframe.

   Lynnea flinched, the box almost slipped through her hands. She quickly whipped her eyes dry, she didn't even notice she started crying. Not daring to look at him, she stared at her knees, slowly closing the box and putting it aside.

   "I - I'm sorry", she stammered, "I should - I - shouldn't have -"

   "It's okay, I actually wanted to go for it", Fred softly spoke. Lynnea's eyes snapped on him surprised.

   "Why would you keep it?"

   He crossed the room and sat down next to her on the bed, taking the photo out of her shaking hands and smiled down on it. "Because I care about you, Lynnie." Looking her straight in the eyes now, she was searching for a sign, for anything that would tell her he really still cared about her. But there was so much going on in this warm brown

   "You said you'd be mine forever." Her voice was less than a whisper, more tears penetrated her eyes, forcing their way out, but she held them back.

   "I am", he replied to her surprise. "Lynn, you scared the hell out of me that night in the Ministry."

   "What do you mean?"

   "Every second I saw you almost dying!", he sighed. "If I hadn't been there in time to stop you from running through that veil -" he stopped and closed his eyes. "And as you threw your wand away ... Lynn, you were about to sacrifice your damn life for me, I - this made me freak out! I won't let something like this ever happen again."

   "Gosh, your so dumb it hurts", Lynnea dryly retorted, watching his eyes widen. "Really Fred, breaking up with me is not changing a damn! It's not changing my feelings for you! I'd give my life for you anytime, even if you're acting like the prat you actually are. I'd jump right between you and a fucking killing curse. I would never let you die and you could never make me hate you that much I'd change my mind about that. Leave me, hurt me, whatever. It doesn't change even one damn thing."

   For a brief moment he just stared at her. "You're one hell of a girl, aren't you?", he quietly whispered, before leaning in and his lips softly brushed hers, then crushed down and it didn't even took a second for Lynnea to give in. It was like breathing for the first time after an eternity being held under water. Soon their lips moved in the same rythm, just like they were used to, like nothing had ever changed ...

    "Woah! What the - ?" Harry's voice made them burst apart, their heads snapping at the door, where Lynnea's brother shot Fred with the look in his eyes. "You better be George, or else we have a problem!"

   "Harry -", Lynnea started, but was immediately interrupted by Harry.

   "What the hell do you think you're doing here, Fred?", he yelled, stepping into the room. "She was totally broken since you dumped her! The first night she didn't cry herself to sleep, and you come here snogging her and then? What then, Fred?"

   "Harry, it's not -"

   "I swear, Fred, I'll break your bones if you won't stop fooling around with my sister!" Harry seemed to be just seconds away from taking his wand out and curse the ginger.

   "HARRY!", Lynnea shrieked. "For heaven's sake -"

   "He's right, Lynn", Fred muttered. "I'm sorry, I shouldn't have done that. I - I better leave now ... Just forget about me, okay?"

   "Never", Lynnea breathed, as she watched something in Fred's eyes shatter. He just slightly shook his head and walked out of the room, and Lynnea could feel her heart breaking all over again. A tear ran down her cheek, but she didn't even make an attempt to hide it.

   "Stay away from him", Harry snapped at his sister, but immediately his gaze softened. "I'm sorry. I just don't want you to get hurt again. I couldn't stand seeing you like that once more."