10 | C O M P L I C A T E D

•••
wonder if you look both ways
           when you cross my mind.
•••

He was talking about her. The thought wouldn't leave her alone. Of course Lynnea was curious what he was talking about her, but that he does left an undefined feeling in her stomach. But when it came to talking to Lynnea, Fred was as silent as a dead forest. He ignored her on any given occasion. At least she couldn't blame him. Lynnea was part of Slytherin's Quidditch team, and it was their fault that Fred, George and Harry had a life long ban from their most favourite activity.

She eyed Ron constantly, as they were sitting with Harry and Hermione in the library, but was to afraid to come up with the question that was burning down her mind slowly. Instead she kept quiet.

"It's not fair", Hermione said frustrated. "They should ban Goyle, too, at least he shot that Bludger at Harry, that was really dangerous, he could have been seriously injured."

"I don't even get why they're in the team", Harry growled. "O'Riley should kick them out. At least Flint had the brain of a flubberworm, but why on earth would O'Riley keep them in?"

"He can't kick them, he's afraid of his father", Lynnea snorted. Harry threw her a questioning look, so she explained: "His parents are befriended with the ones of those three baboons."

"So his parents are Death Eaters?", Harry sharply asked.

"How do you think so?"

"Well, Malfoy's parents are, as well as Crabbe's and Goyle's", Harry replied and shrugged.

Lynnea's eyes widened. Could that be true? Aiden's parents were Death Eaters? She could hardly believe it. 

"But then ...", she slowly said, as something rushed through her mind. She didn't want to believe it. She couldn't even imagine it. "They knew it ...", she breathed.

"What?", Harry asked, but Lynnea ignored him. To be honest, it was an option. More than an option. The more she thought about it, the more obvious it got.

"Hey, Lynn!", Harry said, waving his hands in front of here eyes, which were staring straight into nothingness. She snapped back to reality, noticing the three Gryffindors were staring at her. "Are you okay? You're a bit pale", Harry said, tilting his head.

Lynnea shook her head to clear her thoughts, before she spoke: "See, Aiden and me kinda dated last year. And suddenly he broke the contact. A few weeks ago he explained that his parents forced him to do so, they told him I was, well, sort of dangerous. That I'm not who I pretend to be." She snorted and rolled her eyes. "So what if they knew, that someone was after my family? What if they told him to stay away from me, because I was dangerous? They didn't want to be brought in touch with my family." She made a short pause. "Does that make sense?", Lynnea finally asked, looking at her three friends sceptically. Ron and Harry just stared back at her, their faces wearing a clear look of confusion, but Hermione frowned, her eyebrows furrowed.

"Could definitely be an option", she then said.

"Well, at least I can be sure about one thing now", Lynnea sighed, leaning back in her chair. "There's no turning back to dating him."

"Did you intend?", Hermione asked, her voice casual, but her eyebrows raised.

Lynnea thought about it once more, even though it was running through her mind so often she already dreamt of it. Back then in fourth grade she really did like Aiden. And often she was wondering where they'd be right now, if he hadn't broken the contact. But everytime she thought about it, there came another picture in her mind; it was Fred. Fred's strange facial expression when he caught Lynnea and Aiden almost kissing in the courtyard. Fred talking about her to his younger brother. Fred. Like a annoying tumor in her head that grew and grew bigger the more she tried to not think about it.

"No", she finally said, shaking her head bewildered. "I - well I thought about it once or twice, I mean I really liked him, but ... No."

•••

"You should be warned", Daphne greeted Lynnea giggling, when she entered the Slytherin's common room.

"So then warn me", Lynnea replied, flinging herself on one of the armchairs in front of the fire, where Tracey and Daphne were already sitting, both in a really frightening excellent mood.

"Aiden's looking for you", Tracey said, wriggling her eyebrows. "We think he's going to ask you out."

Lynnea groaned. "He for sure just wants to tell me about the next Quidditch practice", she said, deeply hoping that this really was the reason why he wanted to talk to her.

"Keep telling that yourself, stupid", Tracey snorted. "He's obviously still a thing for you."

"But I don't have a thing for him."

"We know", Daphne retorted.

"But we thought as long as your weasle is still dating Johnson, you might could have some fun with Aiden", Tracey added, smirking knowingly.

"You two are terrible human beings", Lynnea said, narrowing her eyes at the two girls. "There's neither something happening between me and Aiden, nor between me and Fred. No, Tracy, shut up, gossip girl!", she furiously added, when the black haired girl opened her mouth again.

"Okay, then I'm not telling you, that Aiden came in and is straight on his way over to us by exactly now." She rolled her eyes, while Lynnea quickly got to her feet. "What are you up to?"

"Good night", Lynnea muttered and hastened away.

"It's five p.m., girl!", Tracey yelled after her.

"Do I look like I even care?", Lynnea yelled back, turning around once more. Aiden had stopped walking in the middle of the room. She caught his glimpse, but quickly turned back around and entered her dormitory. She closed the door behind her shut, leaning her back against the dark wood and let out a deep breath, as if she'd held it in for hours now.

Suddenly she was pushed away as the door was been opened. Almost falling over, she got a hold on Daphne's four-poster bed next to her.

"So he wants to talk to you about Quidditch, huh?", Daphne snorted, as she and Tracey entered, closing the door behind them.

"That's why you're hiding your arse in here, isn't it?", Tracey laughed.

"Sometimes I really wonder, why we became friends", Lynnea muttered, frowning at the two girls. "You're awful. Both of you. You know that?"

"Of course we know", was Tracey's answer, as she walked over and flung herself on Daphne's bed. "So will you hide in here forever or do you want to join us for dinner?"

Lynnea threw a quick gaze at the door.

"He's gone", Daphne said, chuckling. "So c'mon, let's go upstairs, I'm hungry and you should grow some balls, young lady."

"Despite dinner would feel terribly wrong, if we couldn't watch Weasley's dreamy starings at you, while his girlfriend has not the slightest clue, even though she's sitting opposite to him", Tracey added and grabbed Lynnea's arm to drag her along, as she got back on her feet.

"Really terrible little monsters you are ...", Lynnea muttered under her breath, as the two girls pulled her along.