Chapter 29.

-The next day-

The morning winter breeze was quite tranquil as I rode above the forest on Rainquill's back that early frosty mid-morning, reigns in hand and my hair tied back in a bun with 2 strands poking outwards like a ribbon. Through the morning tide sunrise struck clouds with a warming blush colour with slight whitish highlights curving at their edges, making themselves almost look like spray painted pillows just waiting for someone to languish in their soft comfort. A wavering breeze would sometimes swish calmly by every now and then, giving Rainquill's feathers a slight tug at the seams. I knew it was improper to take William's gryphon without asking but I wanted to go looking for my sister as early as it could get. Hopefully I would manage to get back without him even noticing by daybreak so I wouldn't get a undeserved beating for taking her out for a flight... okay maybe I do deserve it since I practically took his gryphon... and his bags full of gear... and pretty much his beloved compass. Okay fine I do deserve it, but hopefully I could get away with it since I was trained to be a thief anyway. 

Moving swiftly amongst the pine's snowy tips, I carefully glanced along the edges of each opening that came into eye view. Hopefully to catch a hint or even a trace of my sister's wolf like appearance or even more possibly her human appearance hiding within the darkened wood. Rainquill somehow did not mind the fact that I was riding her instead of William, normally once a gryphon has bonded with a human. They usually would never allow anyone else except for the owner itself or unless the other person was accompanied by the owner to travel amougst it's back. "Okay Rainquill, hover around here.... Gale's got to be here somewhere." I spoke calmly as I slowly reeled in the gryphons reins to a slight degree, making Rainquill pull her wings back to slow down. However as soon as we slowed down, something felt uneasy in the gryphons feathers. Almost as if she felt like something unsettling was nearby, waiting to pounce onto both of us when it's chance was just perfect.

*poing!*

And sure by heck did....

Almost suddenly without any hesitation, the sudden whirl of a arrow whisked past my ear like a raging bullet. Seeing the wooden piece move past my eyes like it was in slow motion yet quickly like a shot of vertigo. Wait a second... Arrows? Since when where there any hunting camps nearby? It didn't really matter much now since right before my very eyes... a legion of riders flocked to the skies in a close semi circle, each one covered in light metallic clothing while their gryphons appeared to wear heavy armour that would match the same shade as the owner would. Gripped to their hands held large bows and small wooden like instruments that looked like bamboo sticks down in the southern region. Through the crowd soon came another rider who's Gryphon was way larger than the rest, twice the size of Rainquill and could easily kill it's comrades with a easy swipe from it's mighty talons.

"Stay easy Rainquill, time for us to do something really crazy and really stupid!" I muttered softly before gazing into her eyes, hoping that she would trust me and not back down on me now.  The only response she gave off was a purr before I gripped tighter onto the reigns and quickly yanked them back till it cocked her head just slightly, causing her to make a swan like dive downwards towards the trees in a spiral like position. Using the shadows created by the trees, both of us quickly darted back and fourth through the trees. Slowly and constantly gaining speed until it felt like we were just whipping by the tree line faster than the speed of sound. Glancing back, I noticed that the masked figures behind me were slowly trying to pick up the pace with their gryphons flapping their ancient wings like they were burning as a phoenix would. If Rainquill could go a little faster now... a little more... just a little more... 

NOW!

Almost within the second a tree branch came into eye view, I made a daring leap towards it with the raging amount of speed. Feeling the sudden rush of excitement beat merciless in my heart when my feet came in contact onto the the branches large wooden frame, it was finally a good moment to put my talents to some use. With Rainquill quickly flocking towards the other direction, it would not only lead those figures astray but it might confuse the larger rider too since he would be mostly after her since they would believe she was my gryphon. But it wouldn't be too long for them to figure out that I had disappeared from Rainquill but I would at least have a small amount of time to get away, plus who would want a gryphon that had no rider on it and have a very little amount of equipment tucked away in it's saddle bags anyway? I just pray that dear to god they wouldn't dare hurt her or else William would surely have my hide along with him throwing me through the roof of the inn too if he had the chance to. Running swiftly through the darkened branches, I could faintly hear the birds chirping frantically as I would whirl past them. 

"Hurry!"

"She deceived us! she ran off into the other direction!"

"Don't let her escape!"

Crud... It apparently didn't take as long as I had originally planned, now I was really on the run. Using as much agility as I could muster out of my weakening body, I quickly leaped onto the higher branches to cloak away my figure in shadows so It wouldn't be to easy for me to found as Immediate then I would normally be. Ever so faintly could I hear the men's gryphons beat their vigorous wings against the the trees drawing closer and nearer towards my direction, however through the noise came fourth a strange faded voice that started to sing a tune that was both eerie and unsettling. "Hiding among the moon's bright light, hides a woman and creature alike... She has served longer... than what you shall ever know..." while I listened carefully to the song, I felt sharp strike a blow to the back of my head. Making me loose my balance and descend towards a lakebed of shadows...

________________________________________________________________________________

-William's pov-

"CREE! I SWEAR TO GOD! WHY?"

Shouting towards the empty dawning sky with heavy breaths, I could feel the anger and rage slowly burning within the depths of my heart. Not only did my younger sibling leave ever so suddenly probably during the crack of dawn without giving the reasons to do so, but she also took Rainquill and all my gear with her too! Knowing her, she probably went off to search for Gale but heaven knows where she is and even if Cree was looking in the right direction though. For all we knew is that she ran into the forest without any sense of control and hasn't decided on returning anytime soon which I couldn't exactly blame her for. Finding out all along that your so-called father was nothing but a liar and dirty cheater who had stole you from your parents and then threatening to kill her if she would stay well enough away from her own children. Then afterwards she gets killed from doing so anyways, it was sickening and disturbing like a merciless plague ransacking homes only to spare a few to grieve and suffer. To be completely honest, I truly wished that I could have seen the truth sooner... If I did then maybe I could have prevented such a tragedy like losing Gale to his inhumane deeds. It still made me wonder though why would she then go on sparing him and actually healing a few of his minor injuries after what he had done to her, what he had created to make her life a living nightmare in hell.

"Looks like Cree flew the coop, literally without a trace..."  Conner spoke as he walked towards me, arms behind his back while Thorncrest was following closely behind him. His eyes looking grieve-stricken and yet agitated at the same time. That one mere glance from his eyes and I almost immediately knew, both of them had been close since Conner and I first became partners in crime and to see that his own love suddenly disappear without any trace it probably broke his own heart in two. Knowing that there was a chance of her never returning again to see him. "I even talked with the innkeeper and he even said that he hadn't seen her since last night when we were drinking and talking."  Conner added, snapping me out of my train of thought. If I was going to find Gale then I first had to find Cree and Rainquill before they would do anything that would be regretful later, the only thing though was how are we going to find them without knowing where they were heading first? Just as I was about to allow that question to sink in for a few mere seconds, a loud screech filled the air with noise. Growing ever so strong that it nearly rattled the clouds around it.  A silhouette of a bird like creature soon flew above the village in a slow and hasty pace, moving closer and closer towards us. It was Rainquill!

but wait... If Rainquill was here, then where was Cree?