8. Her Death

A bit of a late update.

HAPPY NEW YEARS!

Enjoy,

Serena12195

____________________________________________

Clarissa turned her truck onto the road heading toward the cemetery. Suddenly an old woman appeared in front of her.

In order to avoid the woman Clarissa turned her wheel quickly. The action caused her wheels to hit a large rock, her head hitting the steering wheel with great force as a result. Dizzy from the impact she was no longer able to control the truck and drove straight into an apple tree.

All the impacts finally caused her to faint.

By the time she opened her eyes again she was out of her truck and laying on a soft patch of grass. The old woman was watching her from a few steps away.

"Hello~" The old woman looked at Clarissa and lightly grinned at her as she uttered her greeting.

"Wh- who are you?" Clarissa asked a little groggily, her mind waking up slowly. Trying to figure out the situation Clarissa stood up rapidly but dizzily fell back again. Clearly, she had a concussion.

Thinking of the people who killed her parents Clarissa's first thought was the old woman was an assassin sent after her life, but almost as soon as that idea passed through her mind she scrapped it. How could they send an old lady to be an assassin?

Half squatting half kneeling Clarissa looked at the grinning old lady very warily. "Who are you." She asked again, a little more collected.

The old lady looked right back at her but said nothing. Instead she cocked her head to the side and smiled even wider revealing the blackened lower teeth in her mouth.

Seeing the old woman be so aloof Clarissa became angry. Who was this old woman who got in the way of her car, why did she continue to stupidly look at her, why was she even on the road? That road had been the private one leading to her mansion!

The old woman cackled and walked toward Clarissa.

"Interesting, you are so feisty child." She did not reply to Clarissa and simply voiced her own thoughts. After a short pause the old woman kneeled in front of Clarissa and placed her bony and wrinkly hand on the woman's cheek. "I have decided, you will do."

Clarissa tried to shove away the strange woman's hand, but her intentions were different than reality. No matter how much she tried she could not move a single muscle. She was completely frozen except for her eyes. The air around her felt extremely oppressive, almost as if some heavy force was being pushed down on her.

The old woman caressed Clarissa's cheek and then lowered her wrinkly hand slowly along Clarissa's cheek down to her neck. There she slowly closed her hand around Clarissa's small neck.

Clarissa's eyes widened in panic, but she could not move her body. She could not even speak a single word!

The old woman looked closely at Clarissa, her hand had not yet applied any force. It was all a strange picture of a beautiful disheveled girl held around the neck by a stooped old woman in tattered clothes.

Suddenly the old woman's eyes softened. "Girl, if I had another choice I would not take your life. You are a budding flower, but the resentment and pain in your heart is just like hers. Remember, on this day you were too weak to protect yourself, too weak to avenge your family. Realize, only strength and power will allow you to rise above all others!" At the end of her words Clarissa finally regained the ability to move, the oppressive atmosphere disappeared just like a magic spell being lifted.

The old woman wasted no time and tightened her hold on Clarissa neck causing Clarissa to struggle out of reflex. Her mind was wholly concentrated on getting away from the old woman, but no matter what she did, the old woman just kept clamping down on her delicate neck.

Clarissa's hands were slowly losing strength even as she clawed at the old woman's wrinkled hands, causing thin scratches which freely released drop after drop of blood.

The old woman looked at Clarissa with pity. "You see child, even when you can move against me, you cannot do anything. This is how useless you are." Clarissa continued to struggle, but even she could see how useless her movements were.

The old woman looked at her bleeding hands, but her eyes showed only disinterest. Slowly her chapped lips spread into a smile, marveling at the girl's feistiness. Her skin was very strong and difficult to cut through, but the girl's struggles were already very effective and even caused her a tiny spark of pain.

The road was quiet except for the little gasps escaping from Clarissa's mouth. Unfortunately, no matter how much she struggled it was for naught, soon she lost her strength and within but a few moments her struggles ceased.

As Clarissa's eyes lost the ability to see her surroundings her last thoughts were of resentment and sadness and surprise.

She resented that she would not be there to punish her uncle for destroying her most beloved family.

Her surprise stemmed from the unlikely killer in front of her. In Clarissa's empty eyes the old woman was clearly reflected. Even after she died she resolved she would never forget what this murderer looked like and if she was able to have another chance she would never again judge by appearance. Weak looking old ladies could kill just as much as strong muscular men.

Finally, her sadness stemmed from the realization that after her death, there would be no one to mourn her.

'Gasp' The little girl in the bed gasped suddenly and opened her eyes only to immediately close them again and faint once more due to the sudden shock and pain she felt.