2. Clarissa's resolve

Finally, cold weather has arrived, I missed it. TT

Here is chapter two! I might release one more today.

Enjoy!

__________________________________________________________

"Get me some cold water." Clarissa snapped at one of her maids before entering her room. As soon as she entered her room she kicked off her high heels and threw herself onto her bed.

Picking up a pillow she screamed into it. 'Ahh!' Only then did all the tension from the day finally disappear. Relaxing slightly, she sat up again and stared off into space her eyes empty of emotion.

Soon there was a soft knock on her door. "My Lady, I have brought you a glass of water." The maid said and then waited for permission to enter.

"Enter." Clarissa said dispiritedly. The maid complied, a silver tray with a single glass of water in her hands.   

The maid shuffled over slightly and raised the tray up shakily. Clarissa frowned but did not say any scolding words, but the silence only maid the maid even more nervous, causing her to spill the water all over the tray.

Clarissa's eyes flashed in irritation and without another thought she threw her hand out and slapped the glass away. The maid responded immediately by falling to her knees. "Forgive me My Lady!" knocking her head on the floor the maid trembled in fear.

Everyone in the estate knew how terrible their lady's temper was. Even one small inconsequential mistake could cost some their job, their livelihood, their ability to live in the city or anywhere else where the Allen Corporation had influence. In other words, their lives as working adults could be destroyed with one single word from the heiress of the Allen family.

Clarissa looked at the trembling servant and her heart felt so sour at the sight. She turned away and after a moment tiredly spoke. "All servants are dismissed. You...don't come back again." She then waved the trembling maid away.

The maid stood up and bowed respectfully before retreating. Even if she was sad or angry she could still not disrespect the lady in front of her, she could only listen and comply.

Once she was by herself again Clarissa sat on her bed and put her hands over her eyes. Soon the quiet room was filled with the sounds of sobbing. "Mother, father, I am sorry I am still so weak. I should be standing at the top, I should not let anything move me, but why can't I be crueler? How am I supposed to destroy those who have harmed you when I cannot even punish a servant properly!" Clarissa cried more heavily as she lamented about her shortcomings.  In fact, Clarissa was not a cold or detached, she was a sixteen-year old young woman who wanted nothing more than to be happy. Unfortunately, her life was not so simple, not since she had lost her dear family. Now she was responsible for countless lives and businesses. If she fell the entire Allen Empire would fall with her, such a burden was on her small shoulders.

If it wasn't because she absolutely needed to find the people responsible for her family's murders she would have already sold over the Allen company to someone more capable, but as it stood she needed its power. Her fortune was cold and unfeeling, but it was the only thing that would let her have her vengeance. Once those who had plotted to kill her family were dead, then she could let go, then she could be free.

Drying her tears Clarissa stood up and removed her expensive well-tailored dress and replaced it with a dark cotton pajama, then she burrowed under her covers and imagined the soft warmth from the covers was the warmth of her parents hugging her.

Deep into the night a red smoke began to swim in the air, from within appeared the same old woman who had been watching Clarissa so attentively earlier in the day.

"So little girl, will your heart really be cruel enough to destroy those who have wronged you?" The old woman had a cunning look in her eye as she looked at the rosy face of the sleeping girl.