He grunts in a way of response, not bothering to comment on me sleeping,  and starts to walk again, going back to his speech about the project or what not. The project is just some big load of crap that every freaking professor liked to give out. Teachers here didn’t know what a break means if it hit them in the freaking face.

I focus on the lab equipment in front of me and run my mind through all the different instruments and names. Really anything but the fact that I was going to have to confront Julio sometime real soon. Most likely today.

I feel someone’s eyes on me, one of those weird things you can just tell, and I turn my head a little and peek behind my shoulder to find Nick staring at me. Now instead of the stupid equipment and Julio, all my focus goes to him.

He has on the same white lab coat I and everyone else has on, one of the precautions for being in this class, and his blonde hair is dishevelled and everywhere. It falls in his eyes a little and he sweeps it away with a flick of his little pinky.  

I remember asking why Physics needed us to wear white coats, and when Mr. Clark said, rather arrogantly, that we will also explore Chemistry this semester, I never questioned the stupid coats again. At-least Nick looked decent in it.

His chances a glance toward the teacher before leaning forward in his stool. he gets even closer to me and drops his voice to a mere whisper. If Mr. Clark caught me talking to Nick there is no doubt I could be kicked out of my second class of the year.

“Are you okay?” He asks, his eyes searching my face. “You seem a little out of it today.” I could freaking imagine. I had a killer hangover, which involved an even worse headache, that ironically made me need to get a drink every ten minutes.

Let’s also not forget the fact that I owed Julio a thank you. A thank you that could go anyway. For all I know he would expect something from me after last night. If he did, he was going to be greatly disappointed.

I puff my cheeks out a little and let out my breath in one big swoosh. I wasn’t going to let Nick onto any of this. If I did, I could just imagine the embarrassment.

I lean back, getting closer to him, and I look straight ahead as I talk to Nick. Like I said, I had no need to get kicked out of another class. If I did, I probably would never show my face again at this school.

“I had a pretty…late night last night. I got like no sleep and my mind seems to think that it needs to overwork itself.” Yeah, that was pretty lame to say, but it wasn’t like I was talking to Brad Pitt here.

It was just Nick.

He laughs softly at my ill attempted joke and it makes me smile a little in response. Next to me Maria is taking notes on what Mr. Clark was saying so if I missed anything I could just get it from her later on in the day. It was one of the perks of having a smart seatmate in class.

“Maybe you shouldn’t stay up so late Kels. You know, brains need sleep too.”

Okay, that was an even lamer joke. I hold my laugh in and  sneak another peek at him and his blue eyes show a bit of humour in them. This is exactly what I needed. Someone who was willing to make me feel better with lame jokes.

“Seems as if my body is the one with the sleeping problem.”

He looks me up and down before meeting my eyes again. “No problems in sight. As far as I can tell.”

We stare at each other for a moment and I let the smile come through, not being able to hold it in any longer. If he was giving my body a compliment, then so be it.At least it made me feel a little better.