Tree Bros- The Zombie Song pt3

More angst, but the fluff stuff will start again tomorrow!

"Have you... recently kissed someone who was infected?"

Evan paused at this, debating what to answer. "U-um, I."

He sighed heavily. "No. No I haven't."

"Okay, good. Next question." Alana's questions dulled in his mind. He answered. Yes. No. No. Yes.

He would be okay.

He just had a concussion.

He wouldn't turn into a monster.

He wouldn't turn into a Connor.

Its a lot more difficult to control yourself when you're a zombie, Evan realized.

Evan didn't want to bite Alana. He loved Alana. Alana was like another mother to him.

But his zombie side didn't care. His zombie side wanted everyone to suffer like him, to be just like him.

So first was Alana. She was easy to get. She trusted him to much, and would constantly visit him in the help center alone.

Zoe would be easy too. It was Jared that worried him.

"Hey, Jared?"

"Yeah?" Jared didn't turn to face Zoe, keeping his eyes focused.

"Alana's been in the medical room for a long time." Zoe pointed out the obvious.

"Yeah. You worried about your girlfriend screwing Evan?"

"Jared, I'm serious. You know I don't trust Evan after..." Zoe trailed off, not wanting to mention her brothers name ever again.

"Yeah, I know. If you're worried, go check on them." Jared voice lost its happy edge, his emotions tired from the fake happiness. "I'll keep watch."

Zoe nodded her head, standing up. She made her way towards the bunker, and Jared's eyes followed her down. Once he was sure she'd made it, he turned back to face the front, and realized something horrible as he looked next to him.

Zoe left her gun.

Jared jumped up as he heard Zoe scream. "Zoe!" He rushed over to the bunker, opening the door, only to be met with two sets of dead eyes.

Alana and Evan pushed out, guilt clear on their faces.

"Evan? Alana? No, no please." Jared's strong voice had faded seeing his friends faces.

"I'm sorry Jared. I love her, and I just..." Alana's eyes filled with tears, unable to cope with her grief and guilt. For herself, and for her girlfriend.

Without clear hesitation, Jared raised his gun, and fired at Alana, and the new figure coming out of their once home.

"Jared, please." Jared shifted his gun towards Evan, shaking. He didn't want to do this. He couldn't do this, he couldn't shoot him.

"Evan. How could you?" Evan wouldn't meet Jared's eyes, upset at himself too.

Jared smiled, but his smile didn't reach his eyes. Of course. Evan didn't want to be saved, or reversed. He wanted to die like Connor, so they could hopefully be together.

Of course he would.

"I-"

"Save it, Evan."

Jared looked up, and Evan was scared of the face he saw. It was no longer the face of a boy trying to survive. It was the face of a man who just couldn't do it anymore.

"I hope this was good for you, Evan. You don't have to clean up this mess. But I do."

Jared pulled the trigger, anger written on his face. The sound it made this time was the worst sound he'd ever heard in his life.

This time, it was the sound the person you loved the most dying.

Jared didn't remember leaving the base, but he must have. He couldn't stand the sight of his dead friends, and he didn't think he had the strength to carry the bodies away right now.

Jared heard a rustling to the left of him. When he glanced over, he saw two of the infected moving towards him.

On his right, he realized, more were staggering to him.

It was supper time, and the dinner wasn't going to fight back.