Chapter 42: The Bet

I cross my arms and watch the two idiots argue

"The loser gets to pick the winners Halloween costume."

"Fine,"

Mari agrees and shakes hands with Finley. I sit a crooked wooden bench at the other side of Regent's park on Primrose Hill, shaking my head.

 "You're going to be keeping track," Fin points to me and I laugh. 

"You expect me to keep track of your little race without being biased to my boyfriend?" I ask and Mari smiles, he hugs my shoulders from behind and sticks his tongue out at Finley.

 "He's your boyfriend but I'm your best friend," Fin says and I roll my eyes.

 "Tis is true," I agree and Mari hits me. 

"Fine fine. I'll judge. What are we doing again?" I yawn and put my homework back in my bag. These two together were horrible study partners. 

"He thinks he's more athletic than me, so whoever makes it to the bottom of the hill and back up first wins." Mari sets the rules and Fin laughs. 

"This is going to be the easiest challenge you've ever given me," Fin says as he gets into a starting position next to Mari. 

"Alright ready..." I pause for a brief moment.

 "Go!"

Mari cheats and mid-sprint he hops onto Finley's back but the force sends them both tumbling down the hill. I break down laughing while listening to Fin curse him out in the middle of this family park on a Saturday as they roll to the bottom of the hill. 

Mari's able to get up faster and gain a slight advantage but not for long as Finley sprints forward back up the hill and Mari is unable to catch up with him.

 Covered in mud and dirt, Fin runs straight for me and shows no sign of stopping. I quickly get off the bench and start running but he catches up faster than I thought and pounces on me. 

"Get off of him!" Mari yells but Finley ignores him and pins me down.

 "Fucking hell, fine you win!" I shout at Fin and Mari joins the pin-down Hamie party.

 "What are we?! Five!?" I yell at both of them as they fight on top of me. 

"Wait what time is it?" Fin stops mid fight and picks up my arm to look at my watch. 

"It's like 17:00? Why?" I ask and he quickly gets off of me. Mari gets up to fight but Fin shoves him back down on top of me. 

"I gotta go, I'll catch up with you idiots later. And Mari, tomorrow we're costume shopping,"

 He says and quickly grabs his back and walks toward the tube station. I finally get up and dust myself off. Holding my hand out to Mari to help him back up. He takes it but pulls me back down with him. Kissing me, but I pull away laughing.

"Baby, I love you but you taste like dirt." I tell him and he breaks down laughing on the turf. 

"Come on. We're going to be quite the sight." I tell him as I pull strands of grass out of his hair.