Chapter 6: The Triple

The woman at the reception desk hands me a small brown envelope containing my student ID and Dorm key. I look at the sticker holding the envelope closed to see my room number.

Mari waits in line with his suitcase and gives me the thumbs up.

"We'll meet up later!"

He says and I walk to the main staircase with my large suitcase trailing behind me.

"200" I read off the sticker and walk up the first flight of stairs.

But the sign says this is the first floor.

I look over the banister of stairs to see the sign below me says ground floor.

"How weird," I mumble to myself and walk up another set of stairs.

I definitely wasn't in America anymore.

I wonder how different it will be for Mari.

I reach my dorm at the end of the hall and swing open the door.

It was a triple with three beds on each side of the room and an entire wall dedicated to french doors that opened up to a small balcony.

I was the first one there so I got to pick out my side first.

I decided to go for the one closest to a window and toss my welcome packet on the bed, then collapsed onto the springy mattress

I made it.

I really made it.

Classes wouldn't start for another week but the excitement was in the air.

I sigh as I take in the sunlight that was pouring in from all angles. I start to wonder who the other two roommates would be and sit up when I hear the lock click as someone struggles to unlock the door.

I quickly walk over to the door and open it for them.