Chapter Two: The Ball of Sunshine

I finally make it through TSA and reassemble myself

I finally make it through TSA and reassemble myself. Tossing my laptop back in my black backpack, readjusting my comfy black hoodie and hoping while putting my red converse back on as I make my way to my gate in the long outstretched terminal. Once I reach my designated area, I plop down in the chair next to the window and plug in my phone to the outlet underneath me.

I was here an hour early, only glancing up when a plane lands at my gate and a mass of people get off.  

There was one poor guy about my age who looks like he's struggling to fight the sea of people to get out of line. He was shorter than most of the people who just shove him aside and when he finally breaks free he twirls in a small circle as he tries to figure out what gate he's in. 

He's kind of strange wearing a bright red hoodie and jeans with a neon yellow backpack that had a small kitten keychain hanging from it. He scratches the back of his head in confusion then looks around at the people sitting at the gate until his bright green eyes meet mine.

He smiles widely and literally skips in my direction, making his way through the crowd. I look behind me, confused as to whether or not he was coming to me. When I turn around again he's standing right in front of me. 

He gives me a little wave and tilts his head, then asks what I think is a question in a language I don't understand.

 "Sorry, I only speak English man."  I try to tell him and he nods, then rolls his eyes and smacks his forehead.

 "Ah! Sorry, I forgot this is America! Haha! How cool is this!" He giggles a little to himself and for any other guy this would be weird but he was strangely just naturally adorable so I laugh a little with him. 

"I wanted to ask you what gate is this?" He asks in English with an almost angelically soft voice and only a hint of an accent which only added to his cuteness. 

"Umm...gate 8?"

He suddenly jumps up triumphantly. 

"Yes! I made it! I'm supposed to layover flights here and was scared I wouldn't make it in time!" He says and sits down next to me, shifting himself until he was comfortable. 

"Ugh, I'm exhausted, I've been traveling for fourteen hours! Where are you headed?" He asks and usually I was really shy but he was just so energetic I couldn't ignore him. 

"I'm headed to England to go to university,"  I tell him and he smiles again almost leaping off his seat. 

"What?! Me too! What university?!" He asks and I looked around. He was so loud that I felt like everyone was staring at us.

 "Err, the University of London?" He claps his hand over his mouth and gasps. 

"What? No way! Me too! I'm Mari!" He says excitedly and holds out his hand. I give it a hard shake.

 "I'm Jamie." I introduce myself and he sits back. 

"Jamie? This is so great, you can be my first friend!" 

He says my name like Hay-me, but I don't bother correcting him cause he seemed so fragile and genuinely sweet. 

Mari looks down at the ground for a second at his swinging feet and pushes his dirty blonde hair out of his almost unnaturally bright green eyes.

 "I was so scared of going to England all alone. But I feel a little better now that I have someone else with me." 

He says and looks at me with that infectious smile that could light up the entire airport.