Chapter 23: It's complicated

I walk in from a 6-hour lecture with two different English classes

I walk in from a 6-hour lecture with two different English classes. One in 18th century British literature and the other in Colonial American Literature. 

"You looked fucked up,"

 Finley turns his head from his desk and laughs at me as I collapse into bed. 

"I need a nap," I cry out and look over to the empty bed beside the window.

 "Where's Mari?" I ask him and he gets up from the desk, 

"You mean your boyfriend? Ah, I think he's out with some guy from down the hall." He says and I grab my pillow, shifting more towards the window to nap in the afternoon sun, 

"For the last time he's not my boyfriend, shut up, it's embarrassing." I groan as I close my eyes. 

"Mhm, yeah and I'm currently in a monogamous relationship," he says sarcastically, I pull up a blue blanket I bought the other day from Primark and sigh,

 "Wait is he really with another man?" I ask and he laughs.

 "Noooo he's not my boyfriend." Fin makes fun of me and I throw a pillow at him. 

"Shut up," I bask in the sun and slowly fall asleep.

"Hamie?" 

A loud thud disturbs me from my peaceful nap as I wake up but keep my eyes closed. I feel the bed sink as he snuggles up to my back. He gently traces the line of my back and kisses the back of my neck. I groan as I flip around only to have my breath taken away by how perfect he looks in the sunlight. 

I was trying to control my feelings but it was so hard when he just looks at me and I feel like I can't breathe. 

"Mari? How was your day?" I ask and he yawns like a little kitten and closes his eye. 

"Too easy. I already know everything on the coursework side, I'm mostly excited to start working in the hospital." He says with a smile, ugh I wish he was mine.

 "What made you want to become a doctor?" I ask and he opens his eyes and smiles at me, 

"When I was little I walked in on my dad treating my uncle Jonathan for third-degree burns, which he got from saving his husband from a burning building. My dad was so focused on his work even though my uncle was screaming in pain. So I sat on my uncle's lap and worked my hardest to make him smile because I wanted to help him. And then after that, I visited my dad at the hospital every chance I got and learned by watching him. I guess it was only natural to become a doctor after that. I never thought of becoming anything else."

 He tells me the story and I listen carefully. At the mention of his dad, I gently grab his side and pull him closer to me. 

He kisses me and I take in his sweet lips which tasted like strawberries. 

"Mmm sorry, I couldn't help it. You looked so cute and concerned," 

he says and I sigh. The sun was so perfect I just wanted to take in its glow without talking about this complicated relationship we had going.

 "It's fine."