Chapter 36

Bao Zheng sat at the table in the French restaurant. The aroma of freshly baked bread wafted through the air and the sounds of vibrant conversation filled the restaurant. Bao Zheng peered at his watch. He and Jiang Ru agreed to meet at 7 and it was 10 minutes after the hour.

Bao Zheng took a large gulp of water and peered at the door as Jiang Ru made his way inside the restaurant. He spotted Bao Zheng and walked over.

"Sorry I'm late," Jiang Ru said sitting across from Bao Zheng. Unlike his usual attire he was dressed informally in a t-shirt and blue jeans.

"No problem, I haven't been here long," Bao Zheng said. The waitress walked over to their table with a cup of water for Jiang Ru.

"Did you order yet?" Jiang Ru said picking up the menu and peering inside.

"No, not yet," Bao Zheng said doing the same. He peered at the foreign terms on the menu and glanced up at Jiang Ru- who also seemed confused.

"Do you know what any of this stuff is?" He asked laughing. Bao Zheng shook his head and laughed along with him.

"Hello, do you have any questions about the menu?" the waitress asked.

"Yes, we aren't familiar with this menu, what do you recommend?" Jiang Ru asked.

"I would recommend the caprese sandwich, it also comes in a salad. They got rave reviews from customers. "

"That sounds great. Two please!" Jiang Ru and Bao Zheng handed their menus to her and she sauntered away.

"So how have you been Bao Zheng? We haven't really been able to connect."

Bao Zheng thought back to Qing Hua's jealous tantrum. "Right, I've been so busy with school; how have you been?"

"Great, glad to be taking this new opportunity and I just got everything set and am ready to go."

"I am glad to hear that," Bao Zheng said taking a sip of his water.

As Jiang Ru and Bao Zheng were conversing Bao Zheng heard a familiar voice come through the door. It was deep yet soft, like Qing Hua's. He was afraid to turn around but was quickly relieved when he saw it wasn't Qing Hua, but a man, slightly older. He looked very similar to Qing Hua. The man scanned the restaurant and his eyes fell on Jiang Ru. A surprised smile lit up his face and he walked over.

"Lee Jiang Ru, what are you doing here?"

Jiang Ru's eyes widened as he stood to shake the man's hand.

"Hou Jin Xue, I can ask you the same thing. I heard you're heading to Spain soon."

The man laughed. "Well I had a meeting at Shenzhen University, so I am in town." The man wore a charismatic smile, much like Qing Hua's.

"Oh well good for you. Oh, this is Huang Bao Zheng- he teaches at Shenzhen University." Jiang Ru pointed to him.

The man turned towards Bao Zheng and extended his hand. "Nice to meet you Professor Huang, I am Hou Jin Xue, but everyone calls me Mark."

"Nice to meet you," Bao Zheng shook his hand and took a seat.

"So, what are you doing here? Got a date?" Jiang Ru chuckled. Mark laughed with him.

"No, actually I am meeting my cousin for dinner. He insisted on this restaurant so I relented. Oh, he also attends the university professor."

"Really? What program?"

"Business, I think."

"Well I may have him in the future, depending on what year he's in," Bao Zheng chuckled.