Chapter 11

I am posting this chapter early since the last chapter was very short and left people wanting more. We have more Bao Zheng and Qing Hua alone time in this chapter, and I hope their "date" doesn't disappoint. ;)

Qing Hua pulled Bao Zheng out of the office and down the street to where his car was parked. It was a newer model foreign car.

Bao Zheng couldn't help but look in awe at the black and red leather interior. He'd always wanted something this sleek but could never rightly afford it. He snapped out of his trance and looked around to make sure none of his students or colleagues spotted him.

Qing Hua drove off-campus. They drove for several minutes in utter silence. Bao Zheng was too nervous to talk and Qing Hua was too focused on the road to take note of his guest. Bao Zheng held tightly onto his seatbelt as Qing Hua weaved in and out of traffic.

"A friend of mine owns a restaurant just outside town. It's really nice, and I think you'll like it." Qing Hua said breaking the awkward silence.

"You really didn't have to. Cafeteria food would've been fine." Bao Zheng laughed awkwardly.

"Cafeteria food? I don't eat their lunch. It must be one step above eating prison food." Qing Hua's tone was light but he didn't laugh or smile.

Finally the car came to a stop in front of a small establishment. Though it seemed quite isolated there were many cars in the parking lot. All of the cars were similar to Qing Hua's, expensive. Bao Zheng and Qing Hua walked in. A foreign woman greeted them.

"Qing Hua, how are you?" She asked in poor Mandarin.

"I am great, how are you?" He asked giving her a hug.

"I am great, haven't seen you in months, what's the special occasion?" She asked. She looked to Bao Zheng and back at Qing Hua. "Is this your boyfriend?" She whispered.

Bao Zheng overheard her and loudly blurted, "No, of course not."

Her eyes widened at Bao Zheng's outburst and Qing Hua brought his hands to his face and laughed. She threw Qing Hua a confused look before leading them to a table.

"Alright, you guys look at the menu, I'll be back to take your order shortly." She disappeared  to the front to greet more guests.

Bao Zheng stared at the menu. Everything was in English and though he'd taken English in college, his English proficiency wasn't as polished as it should've been.

"What type of cuisine does this restaurant serve?" He asked Qing Hua who was staring at the menu intently.

"Mostly Western. Italian and French." Qing Hua said not looking up from his menu.

Bao Zheng looked back at his menu. He was embarrassed. He didn't want to ask for Qing Hua's assistance, for fear of being seen as incompetent.

The girl came back to the table, "Alright what will you be having?"

Qing Hua looked up and said," We'll have two Mediterranean pizzas and I'll have an iced tea. What would you like to drink?" He gestured to Bao Zheng.

"Umm, I'll have the same." The girl nodded, took the menus and disappeared again.

Bao Zheng slumped back in his seat, obviously uncomfortable. His movement drew Qing Hua's attention because he was now staring at him.

"So, how old are you?" Qing Hua asked.

Bao Zheng scoffed. "Why do you want to know?"

"I'm just making small talk. You look too young to be a professor. So you can't be more than 30 years old." Qing Hua did not hide the fact he was analyzing Bao Zheng's features.