Chapter 14

Bao Zheng's hand shook as he tried to fit the key into the lock. Qing Hua standing over him, breathing down his neck didn't help his nerves at all.

"You want me to do it?" Qing Hua asked looking at Bao Zheng's unsteady hands.

He wrapped his hand around Bao Zheng's, steadying him, and  slowly pushed the key into the lock.

Bao Zheng opened the door and practically stumbled into his small apartment. Clean laundry sat folded on the ironing board in his living room and a few dirty plates were scattered over the counter in his kitchen. He saw Qing Hua's eyes examining the room. 

"Excuse the mess," Bao Zheng said dashing towards the dirty dishes on the counter.

"It's cool. You're place looks fine." He walked into the living room and took a seat on the couch and picked up the cellphone. "I'll call my friend." He said waving the phone so Bao Zheng could see.

"Yeah, go ahead." Bao Zheng grabbed the clean laundry and walked to his bedroom.

He returned to the living room just as Qing Hua hung up the phone. "Did you get anyone?"

Qing Hua shook his head. "He didn't answer." He placed the phone on the coffee table and grunted.

"Can you try someone else?"

"I don't remember any other numbers. Do you have a charger I can use?"

"Yes," Bao Zheng said looking around the room. He saw it plugged in behind the couch.

He took Qing Hua's phone and attempted to plug it in before realizing their phones were different brands.

"It doesn't fit." He said returning the phone to Qing Hua.

"Dammit," Qing Hua said under his breath. "What am I gonna do?" He tussled his hair and pressed the power button on his phone again, it did not respond.

Bao Zheng remained silent. The thought of Qing Hua staying the night at his house crossed his mind, but he swatted the idea away just as quickly as it manifested. He hoped that Qing Hua would present a grand idea that would allow him to sleep somewhere else for the night, but his hopes were in vain. Qing Hua sat quietly. His hands were folded and his once red-tinged face was now a light pink.

"Do you mind..."Qing Hua started. "Never mind." He stood quickly from the couch. "I'll figure something out. Goodnight." Qing Hua walked to the front door.

"Wait..." Bao Zheng's throat felt dry and the room seemed to heat up at least ten more degrees. "You can stay here... if you have no place else."

The words stung Bao Zheng's tongue. The last thing he'd want is for Qing Hua and himself to be alone overnight. The inappropriateness crossed his mind, causing a pulsing headache. But what choices did he have that would leave him with a clear conscience?

"Are you sure?" Qing Hua said turning slightly, his hand still on the doorknob.

"Yeah, you have nowhere to go right?" 

Qing Hua smiled. "Thanks."

Qing Hua sat down on the couch. Bao Zheng sat on a small chair adjacent to him.

"Do you want to watch TV?" Bao Zheng asked reaching for the remote on the coffee table.

"No, I'm fine." Qing Hua said looking down at the array of books and papers sprawled on the table in front of him. He picked up the book he'd gifted Bao Zheng and opened it.

"You like the gift?" He asked holding the book up.

"Oh...yes." Bao Zheng said.

"I didn't know if you would like it or not." Qing Hua put the book down.